Aluminum Macbook... Latch/magnet issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dioscorus, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Dioscorus macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I've got a late 2008 13" 2.0 GHz Macbook. The laptop has been in the family since then, and it has been in for repair regarding a misplaced magnet before. Apparently, that was a $300 repair covered under warranty, which I believe is expired. Anyway, the problem that I am facing now involves the left corner of the notebook when it is held at a ~45° angle. It seems like it isn't holding the screen all the way down to body of the computer. When the laptop is held at 80° and taken slowly to ~95°+, the screen pops open. I understand that the laptop will never be used like this but I want it to be perfect since I will be using it for the fast-approaching first two years of undergraduate study. What can be done to remedy the problem?

Also, what are some must-have applications for 10.6/Mac OS in general? Seems to be enjoyable so far... Also, Windows 7 performance is excellent, whether in Office or gaming :D

Thanks!

2. kolax macrumors G3

To clarify the issue: when the laptop is shut, and you hold it sideways (90 degrees), the lid pops open?

3. Dioscorus thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, when the laptop is held with the hinge facing down (your lap), the lid facing the opposite wall, and the bottom panel facing you, the screen opens when it reaches the specified angle.

What's the best way to preserve battery life? According to iStat, this battery has 298 cycles and is at 93% health. Should I just keep it plugged in most of the time and calibrate the battery (run to death and charge to 100%) once a month?

Also, how can I tell which screen panel I have?

4. Dioscorus thread starter macrumors newbie

*bump*. anyone have experience with this issue? I also noticed that when the laptop is closed, the magnets on the left side of the laptop are hardly attracted to each other. I tested the magnets in the bezel with a paper clip, they are all fine...

Anyone?!

5. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

I'll help bump you and add to the discussion, although I can't give you a definitive answer.

unibody MacBook Pros in the stores always feel like they're just not as securely closed as the base MacBooks. I don't know if the magnetism of the latch is affected by the frame, but it sure feels a lot weaker of an attraction than I would want in a notebook latch. That was one of the reasons I steered away from the Pros in 2006 (big mistake as it turns out), and I'd be really interested in hearing from other people with modern 2008+ Pros if this problem is also endemic to the line.

6. jus10p macrumors newbie

I have the same system as the OP but I have no problems with the magnetic latch. Mine stays snug until I pull on it and its been opened and closed a couple times a day for the last year.

7. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

Mine does the same, same 2GHZ late 08 model as you have.

8. Malithion macrumors member

Malithion

When they fixed it the first time they probably put the magnet in backwards so it repels the lid. Thats my theory.

9. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

Mine actually pops open around 70 degrees.

What do you mean by what screen panel does it have?

10. leftyclick macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem with my Late 2008 Unibody Macbook. The lid has always stayed shut, until recently. I can barely pick up the front end of the laptop and it pops open. I took it to our local Apple Store and they agreed that it was not right, so they sent it off for repair. Well, they give me a call yesterday to tell me it is ready to pick up. When I get to the store, I see that the problem has not been fixed, even though they have replaced the Display and the Logic Board! And to top it off, the screen is no longer properly aligned with the rest of the laptop, but now has a slight overhang on the right side! I complained immediately, so they kept it to send it back off for repair. Now I just have to wait 3 or more additional days to get it back! I am not happy about this.

11. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Same issue here with my late 2008 MB. My new 13" MBP does not have the same issue.

Im guessing its more of a hinge issue than a magnet issue. Ive read elsewhere that the hinges get loose on these models, and the magnets just may not be strong enough to keep the lid closed.

12. Malithion macrumors member

Malithion

I think it might be a hinge issue, my DVD drive broke so when I take it in i'll ask to see if they can tighten the hinge. if that works i'll report back with the news.

13. xpected_one macrumors regular

xpected_one

more than likely a hinge problem or the notebook is slightly tweaked... either way there was a pretty good size thread over on the apple discussions about this same issue, might wanna see what they came up with