Aluminum MacBook logic board replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Avascass7992, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Avascass7992 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I have a 2008 aluminum MacBook that I'm assuming has a bad GPU. I've tried an SMC reset, PRAM reset, plugged it into a monitor, shined a flashlight on the LCD while its on, and tried to boot to safe boot or a flash drive. I get the chime but no picture.

My questions are does any one have any other advice before I jump into purchasing a logic board? Also, will a logic board from an 08-10 white MacBook work with it? They seem to be cheaper for whatever reason.

Thanks for any and all help

2. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

I had a similar problem, failed logic board on an old MBA 13" that I had given to the in-laws, cost me $80 bucks to confirm and was simply not worth the $'s to fix

I looked at similar year boards and second-hand ones but there was always little changes between the years that prevented opting for a cheaper or even a newer one

If you can sell it on for spares, especially the screen and re-use the SDD in an external case or even find one of those trade in any laptop deals, my advice is to opt for a new one

3. Avascass7992 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I figured they would just makes little changes. Was hoping I could get a same year logic board for a white MacBook since this one was just given to me. I currently have a 2012 MBP but wanted this as a quick flip. Thanks

4. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Absolutely not, the ports are different and the screw bosses are in completely different spots compared to the '08 aluminum MB.