Aluminum MacBook logic board replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Avascass7992, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Avascass7992 macrumors newbie

Sep 30, 2015
    Hey guys,

I have a 2008 aluminum MacBook that I'm assuming has a bad GPU. I've tried an SMC reset, PRAM reset, plugged it into a monitor, shined a flashlight on the LCD while its on, and tried to boot to safe boot or a flash drive. I get the chime but no picture.

My questions are does any one have any other advice before I jump into purchasing a logic board? Also, will a logic board from an 08-10 white MacBook work with it? They seem to be cheaper for whatever reason.

Thanks for any and all help
  2. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

Aug 14, 2015
    Land of Smiles
    I had a similar problem, failed logic board on an old MBA 13" that I had given to the in-laws, cost me $80 bucks to confirm and was simply not worth the $'s to fix

I looked at similar year boards and second-hand ones but there was always little changes between the years that prevented opting for a cheaper or even a newer one

If you can sell it on for spares, especially the screen and re-use the SDD in an external case or even find one of those trade in any laptop deals, my advice is to opt for a new one
  3. Avascass7992 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 30, 2015
    Yeah I figured they would just makes little changes. Was hoping I could get a same year logic board for a white MacBook since this one was just given to me. I currently have a 2012 MBP but wanted this as a quick flip. Thanks
  4. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

Apr 16, 2015
    San Jose, CA
    Absolutely not, the ports are different and the screw bosses are in completely different spots compared to the '08 aluminum MB.