Aluminum MacBook not booting Snow Leopard!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bikalpapaudel, Nov 27, 2009.

1. bikalpapaudel macrumors member

bikalpapaudel

My leopard installation was giving me a lot of headache so I thought of doing a clean install.

Now that Snow Leopard had been out for quite sometime and many issues solved; I thought of installing it instead of Leopard.

All I did was follow the instructions to install Snow Leopard [the only option with Snow Leopard was that it did an "Archive and Install" kind of thing by default]. It did take a lot of time [1 hour?] and I was finally taken to my desktop. I looked to check if everything was okay. Yup! Though there was nothing spectacular about Snow Leopard. I shut the computer down.

Today morning I get this and I can't boot. So annoying!
    What does this signify anyway?

[​IMG]

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Chances are that since your Leopard setup was f'd, by doing an archive and install you may have transferred some of those issues.

If I were you, I'd have backed up all my information, ran Disk Utility, and installed SL from scratch.

3. waterplant macrumors newbie

have you tried to repair disk permission
    if you wanna do that , just make sure you have the snow leopard installer

4. Shawnstra macrumors regular

I had that before, and what you have to do is a clean install if repair disk permissions don't work (they worked for me, until I restarted the computer :rolleyes:) So anyway, just try to get into the computer with repair disk permissions and backup your data if you haven't, do a clean format of your mac using disk utility with the install disk, and do a clean install, and put everything back (don't do a time machine restore) manually.

5. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

The Archive and Install option is not a clean install. You have to reformat your hard drive as part of the installation process, because otherwise the installer will use the existing files and try to patch them. Of course, something else could be wrong, but you wouldn't know it because there's no error message.

Wouldn't it be nice if Apple put an error dump function into its Gray Screens of Death?