Aluminum Macbook not seeing old HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jim82, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Jim82 macrumors member

I just bought a new Macbook 2.4 Aluminum. I had the pervious Black Macbook with a 320 HDD. I want to replace the 250 in my new Macbook with the 320giger. I've installed the drive and when I boot up, it just keeps shutting down and booting up and so on. Never reveals the Apple Logo..
    I've also tried holding down the option key and it sees the drive as I can select it, but it again won't mount or something and just continues to reset it's self.

The HDD worked fine in my old Black Macbook (sold yesterday), and I can see it when I connect it to my new Macbook through usb from an external enclosure.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    I called Apple and they did not have any answers for me and said they could not really support it as it was not the hard drive that shipped with the Macbook..
    FYI the HDD that did ship with my Macbook works fine..

2. Moriarty macrumors 6502

If you just transferred the hard drive to the new computer without reinstalling the OS, that is probably why. There might be system-specific drivers that are missing for the new Macbook.

Put in the OS DVD that came with your new aluminium computer and try re-installing OS X on the new drive.

3. Jim82 thread starter macrumors member

That would be my last option.. As I would obviously lose all my data. It is backed up, but the time it will take to install via usb is crazy long.

4. Moriarty macrumors 6502

AFAIK that's your only option, unless you use Target Disk mode (or put the drive in an external enclosure), partition it, put all the data you have in one partition, install OS X on the other, and copy-and-paste your files.

If it isn't recognising the hard drive and you can't boot up, I'm not aware of any quick fix. Perhaps someone else knows more than I do, I'm more "techie" than the average person, but probably well below average for this forum :p