Aluminum MacBook or MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Schlangy, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Schlangy macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I need help making a buying decision

I am deciding between the aluminum macBook or the 15" MacBook Pro. I am 16 years old and have $1,100 saved up and need a new computer desperately. I can wait to save up the extra money if it's worth it.

Mainly I will be using the computer in school to take notes, do homework, e-mail teachers, etc. But I don't have the money to spend for two computers so this laptop will be my main computer.

I do some photo editing in lightroom, and plan to do some gaming on my new computer.

I am fine with buying either machine refurbished or from macmall. So which one should I buy?

What are the big feature differences between the 2.4ghz 13" macBook and the 2.4ghz 15" macBook Pro? And are those features worth the upgrade?

thanks,
    Eric

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

MacBook Pro. It isn't that much more expensive than the high-end MacBook, and it gets you a much much better screen. Plus FireWire and a dedicated GPU which will do gaming well.

I think you'll probably regret not buying the Pro if you bought the MacBook.

4. Schlangy thread starter macrumors newbie

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Trust us, there are plenty of "Macbook or Macbook Pro" threads from people in more or less your exact situation. Just a cursory scan through the last couple pages should net you a thread or two on the same thing.

6. DolemiteJackson macrumors member

7. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

MacBook. The Pro is not worth the extra $700 over the regular MacBook unless you absolutely need the dedicated graphics performance. For someone in your situation, the MacBook is absolutely the right choice.

It is also far more mobile, which is nice for taking notes and the like. I chose a MacBook for university when I started specifically because it's the ideal form factor for people who need portability, and knew I didn't need the extra power.

The graphics chip in the MB will handle most modern games at reasonable frame rates... if you're a really hardcore gamer, though, I don't think you'd be happy with any Apple product, so the difference between the MB and MBP is moot.

8. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

$400 for:

- A higher-resolution screen with an all around better display
    - Firewire 800
    - 9600M discrete graphics.
    - Better internal speakers

It's up to you. If you can justify the extra cost of a MBP, go for it. Personally, I can't because I use an external display and speakers most of the time, don't play games, and don't use Firewire.