aluminum macbook or macbook white

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by laf5203, Aug 2, 2009.

1. laf5203 macrumors newbie

I am new to macs so I feel completely unprepared to make the best choice. My major requires that I have a macbook, however I am on a budget. At the computer store on campus there is an Aluminum macbook not the the pro for $849, and a white macbook for $949. I was thinking the aluminum would be more durable and sense it cheaper it seems like a good choice, but I really dont know.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do you need Firewire?

If yes, take the white MacBook.

If not take the Aluminum one.

3. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

aluminum has the glass, multi function trackpad and has faster (DDR3) RAM

4. Swiss Apple macrumors member

Swiss Apple

IMHO the Macbook Pro 13" is the best deal going, for a couple of hundred bucks more you have a machine that will make you smile every time you open it up. No regrets from my side, and this was also my first ever Mac.

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...what are the specs of both machines (CPU, GPU, RAM, etc...) easier to give you advise if "we" know which model/generation your looking at with the prices...

6. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

If you don't need firewire, i'd go for the aluminum just cause its oh so much sexier! And the plastic ones, I really don't like the build quality of the cases.

7. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

the aluminium one would probably be more future proof, with the faster RAM and more CPU, and better GPU if i remember rightly? Especially with SL coming out soon, which will be able to take advantage of the increased specs :)

PTP

8. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

plastic cracks, aluminum dents. either way, you are screwed if u drop it.;) but i would recommend going for the alu. macbook. may i ask, what you are going to be doing w/ the computer?

9. laf5203 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

in that case, go w/ the aluminum. if word processing a is all you are doing, then get the new mbp 13" or the aluminum mb. the new macbook pros have a much longer battery life.

11. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

the white one!!!!!!!! =)

it is the same as the unibody

+firewire!

+more stylish!

+less money for a good macbook!

12. Branskins macrumors 65816

I don't want to argue all of these points, but how is it more stylish? The aluminum one is pure sexiness! It feels great in the hands and looks fantastic. Has a backlit keyboard (does the white one?). I can't argue the other points, but the aluminum one is way more stylish to me.

13. laf5203 thread starter macrumors newbie

it isn't less money for the white one, i am talking about theregular aluminum macbook not the macbook pro.

14. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I also think the aluminum looks much better but neither Macbook has a backlit keyboard only the new 13,15,17 MBPs have it and old 15"s and 17.

ChrisN

15. Branskins macrumors 65816

Oh I am sorry! I get so confused about all of different ways of naming the macbooks! I still think the aluminum one is more sexy :)

16. camshaft macrumors newbie

Make your own sandwiches, and skip some trips to the pennstate ice cream shop to save enough for the new 13" macbook pro at $1100. :)

17. acedrums macrumors member

I have to agree. The new Macbook Pro (Which is basically a new, better version of what you see before you) also has currently a firewire port as well as other cool features. If you buy from Apple, you can get it cheaper by applying as a college student (and right now, you can also get an iPod touch with it I think). If my math is right, with the college subtraction, you would be paying 300 hundred more but you will be also gaining a better computer then the Classic Edition (the silver one your lookin at). You not only will be getting a more advance computer, but you will get more slots for more personal uses as well. Besides, this one has Firewire and the keyboard light. Personally, I think its a better deal to buy it new but others might disagree. Here your specs for the lowest Macbook Pro:

Product Height1"
    Product Width12.8"
    Product Weight4.5 lbs.
    Product Depth8.9"
    Processor BrandIntel®
    ProcessorIntel® Core™2 Duo Mobile
    Processor Speed2.26GHz
    Display TypeWidescreen TFT-LCD (1280 x 800)
    Screen Size13.3"
    System Bus1066MHz
    Cache Memory3MB on die Level 2
    System Memory (RAM)2GB
    System Memory (RAM) Expandable To8GB
    Type of Memory (RAM)DDR3 SDRAM
    Hard Drive TypeSerial ATA (5400 rpm)
    Hard Drive Size160GB
    Optical DriveDouble-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW
    Optical Drive SpeedsDrive speeds not specified
    Direct-Disc LabelingNo
    Digital Media Reader or SlotsYes, select memory card slots
    GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce 9400M
    Video Memory256MB DDR3 SDRAM (shared)
    Personal Video Recorder (PVR)No
    TV TunerNo
    MPEGYes
    Built-in WebcamYes
    ModemNone
    NetworkingBuilt-in 10/100/1000Base-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)
    Wireless NetworkingWireless-A+B+G+N
    Bluetooth-EnabledYes
    S-Video OutputsNone
    Additional Audio/Video ConnectorsCombined optical digital input/analog line in, combined optical digital output/analog line out
    SpeakersBuilt-in
    PCMCIA SlotsNone
    USB 2.0 Ports2
    IEEE 1394 FireWire Ports1
    Parallel PortsNone
    Serial PortsNone
    Game PortsNone
    Laptop WeightUltraportable (5.5 lbs. or less)
    Battery TypeLithium-polymer
    Battery LifeNot available
    Pointing DeviceSolid-state trackpad
    Operating System PlatformMac
    Operating SystemMac OS X 10.5 Leopard
    Included SoftwareTime Machine, Quick Look, iLife '09 (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb, GarageBand) and more
    ENERGY STAR QualifiedYes
    HDMI OutputNo
    Blu-ray PlayerNo

18. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    Go for the aluminum MacBook. It's cheapter and better.

19. opera57 macrumors 6502

Definitely go for the aluminum one! They feel a lot more studier in the hand and in general are much better looking machines. There would be no contest for me. [​IMG]

20. neil1980 macrumors 6502

That aluminum one doesn't have backlit keyboard... but even if it was the same price id still choose it every day over the white one!

21. cjacks68 macrumors regular

cjacks68

I don't know if you have to buy from your school or not, but you could consider getting a current gen 13" MBP from the refurb store and you would be getting the newest technology for around $1000. You've gotta be quick with the refurb store though.

22. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

For $849, i'd go with the Aluminum MacBook. That's what I did (making the same decision as you, pretty much). I will make the caveat that this was for a secondary computer (I have a Mac Pro at work, and a Desktop PC at home). Thought about getting the MBP for $1099, but I decided to go for the cheaper aluminum macbook, and apply the money saved to applecare and a case. I haven't run into a need for the backlit keyboard, and nothing I have is FireWire, so that hasn't been a problem. Also, I made sure the unit I bought has the newer screen, so that's a huge improvement over the white as well. The MBP might be a little bit faster (I wouldn't call it more "advanced" like the other poster did, it's basically the same computer with firewire and the newer battery), but depending on what you're doing, you might not notice it at all.

I've owned both an aluminum MacBook and a White, and I will say, whatever you do, go for either the Aluminum MB or the MBP. They blow the polycarbonate macbooks out of the water in terms of feel - they truly are solid machines.

23. galactic732 macrumors member

24. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

wait which macbook r u talking about??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO MANY MACBOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AHHHHHHHH

AND THE WHITE MACBOOK IS SEXY!!!!!!!!!:)