Aluminum MacBook or Older MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by skywavesli, Nov 24, 2008.

1. skywavesli macrumors regular

skywavesli

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a Mac laptop. However, I'm kinda in a dilemma.

From looking on-line I can get the new aluminum Macbook and older MacBook Pro for around the same price.

I really, really, like the design of the new MacBooks. But do the older MacBook Pro's have specs that out weight the design greatly.

So, what road should I go down?

Thanks a lot! :)

2. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Definitely get the newest generation of computers.

It will last you much longer, obviously, since it's newer.

Most of the time new is better.

3. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I'd recommend getting the previous generation MacBook Pro. It's a well built machine and has better specs than the current MacBook.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

MacBook Pro has a dedicated graphics chip and a bigger screen. take you pick.

5. skywavesli thread starter macrumors regular

skywavesli

Doesn't the new MacBook have a dedicated graphics chip too with the Nvidia chip?

Thanks for the help

6. codyst macrumors regular

codyst

No. The new mbp has integrated and dedicated.

7. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Nope, it's better than the past card, but it's still pretty bad.

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

the new MacBook has a 9400M (integrated), the old MacBook Pro has an 8600M (dedicated) and the new MacBook Pro has 9400M (integrated) + 9600M (dedicated).

9. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

The problem is the old MBP has a problem with its graphics card. I am terrified of that particular computer just because of the graphics card. No matter what, I would avoid the MBP last generation with the Nvidia 8600 GT graphics card. I had the previous Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz $2499 version of the MBP v2,2 without the Nvidia card (it has a much nicer ATI x1600 graphics card).

The bottom line is ANY MBP with an Nvidia 8600 GT graphics card could be problematic in the long run... and Apple is only covering it for two years.

In my opinion, stay away from that MBP.

I have the new MacBook and love it. But some people need the dedicated graphics card. You can buy a refurbished 2.33 GHz Merom MacBook Pro from Apple.com in the refurbished area... Sometimes it's there for $1499 (it was a $2499 model). Or there is a 2.16 with the ATI x1600 with less memory for I think $1349.

Good luck whichever way you go.

10. skywavesli thread starter macrumors regular

skywavesli

Just Google'd that issue, thanks a lot for the heads up!

11. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

The reason they're only covering it for two years is probably because if it hasn't happened in two years the chances are pretty low that it will happen at all (assuming you use the computer on a regular basis).

Same thing with the whole RRoD problem... if it hasn't happened in 3 years (again, assuming regular use), chances are better that it won't happen.

12. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If you're going to buy Applecare (which you should do when buying any mac portable) you've got coverage for three years. By then, you will probably know if you're chip is going to fail or not. More likely by that time is that you will want a new laptop with whatever new processor/features Apple is offering.

13. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Actually, people are having problems after extended use. So, it may overheat after two or three years and have the problem. WHY WOULD ANYONE TAKE THAT RISK??? It's not a NetBook or backup computer, so it absolutely needs to be stable for most people using a MBP. I just think when paying that much for a computer, and you know it could be problematic, it would be wise to stay away from it. Why risk it? Why when there are non-troublesome MBP out there would anyone buy the one with the problems.

I would stay away from it at $1349... Especially when there are improved trouble free options like the ATI x1600 or the new Nvidia Dual GPU... I really like that dual graphics setup. It's a lot more money, but you can buy the Merom Intel Core 2 Duo for the same price. And it is a great notebook... It was first true 64bit Intel Core 2 Duo chip... However, will only support 4 GB RAM instead of 6 GB that the next generation does.

Everything should be factored into this decision, as it's a LOT OF MONEY.

I would stay away from it, that's all.

14. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

So, the chip has been failing after three years? Has the chip been made for that long?

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Refurb MBP is still a better computer than the new (albeit alluring and rather attractive) MB; it has more power, better performance, and a bigger and better screen.

Cheers and good luck

16. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

how are you using this computer? if you are commuting alot I would go with the 13.3inch macbook if not go with the pro.

17. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

The MacBook would be a good computer if you are using it for day-to-day tasks (email, web surfing, etc.), word processing, some gaming (I don't recommend hard core games on a MB) and using apps such as iLife, MSN, iChat, etc.
    The MBP would be a good computer if you require a bigger screen, day-to-day tasks, word processing, gaming, apps and PRO apps (such as Final Cut, Logic, etc.)
    The MBP has an integrated graphics card (9400M) and a dedicated graphics card (9600M GT). The 9600 card will be useful if you need to do some pro applications, but I can assure you that the 9400 will work as well, as I use Logic on my Al MB.
    The MB only has the 9400M, but it's already more than great. It's good for a consumer laptop.
    Hope this helps!