Aluminum Macbook Paint Chipping Off (Discoloration)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by brianchop7, Jul 1, 2011.

1. brianchop7, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011

brianchop7 macrumors newbie

I bought my Macbook in 2009 i believe and slowly throughout the months i noticed (aluminum?) chipping away near the trackpad on the lower right hand side edge. I thought it must've been something i did by accident that had caused that damage but then more started (chipping off?) and i realized that there must be an issue with the Macbook. So now i'm here in mid 2011 thinking if its possible to bring it back to the store and fix or replace it? Does it count as a manufacturing defect or would i still need to have a warranty/coverage plan on it in order to replace or fix it?
    Pictures:
    http://i.imgur.com/1Zxw6.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/sGYXk.jpg

2. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

that looks like abuse. but it looks too spread I don't really know but cosmetic damage isn't covered by warranty:(

3. brianchop7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure its not abuse. I don't toss and play around with my Macbook.

4. valmorra macrumors member

I'm having the exact same issue, and I always handeld my MacBook with care.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I have the same computer, but I don't have that issue. It's not painted, so that's not the problem. It looks like the metal is indented.

6. brianchop7 thread starter macrumors newbie

But there's nothing i've done for it to be like that. I guess it sorta happened on its own.

7. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Do you have a metal watch on your right wrist? I've scraped a few laptops with my watch over the years.

8. brianchop7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope i have no watch or jewelry ever on my wrists or finger.

9. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

o.k. quite difficult to work out from the pictures, but if you think it's a manufacturing defect best let apple sort it.

10. brianchop7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Its sorta like little teeth mark sorta things through the edge and under edge.

11. pcomac macrumors regular

where did you get the aluminum macbook? i thought all macbooks are white except for pro :/

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

This is a well-documented problem with Apple's powder-coated (painted) aluminum. It's chipped off on the Aluminum MB and MBPs for a while now, especially on the sharp edges.

It doesn't chip off unless the area is handed heavily. You must open and close your screen a lot.

13. brianchop7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i do rest my hand on that edge a lot while using the computer, but for the price i paid for it i expected it to be well built inside and out.

14. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

It is. The MacBook isn't powder-coated, it's anodized. The oils of your skin and sweat are reacting with the aluminum and causing it to erode and pit. This happens with some people, and not with others, it's a random body chemistry thing. This has been happening with all of Apple's aluminum laptops, I've seen some PowerBook G4s with the same issue (though they have plastic around the edge, so it's all on the palmrest area instead). So it's not a build-quality issue, as the aluminum in the MacBook is reacting as all aluminum does, and there's nothing Apple can do about that.

There's not a lot you can do, some people have been able to get Apple to replace it, apparently. It's unfortunate, but the way of things.

This thread talks about this as well.

Also, as a side note, if your camera has a macro mode, you'll be able to make significantly better pictures, as macro will allow it to focus at that close of a distance.

15. brianchop7 thread starter macrumors newbie

But the problem arent blemishes or discoloration, its that the edges are corroding (looks like tiny teeth marks)

16. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Your thread is labeled that the problem is discoloration, now you're saying there isn't any?

The problem is the same, the corrosion is coming from your body chemistry. The only other options are that either you've been hitting it with something hard or there is a defect in the casing. No matter than manufacturer, defects happen. Apple stands behind their products, if it's a defect they'll fix it.

17. brianchop7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I made a mistake but theres no way to change the title now. Read the description too and you'll see its not discoloration.
    I'm not a child, i dont go around hitting my computer for no reason. I'm not sure if they'll cover it if i have no insurance on it anymore.

18. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

You can change it right now if you want to, just edit your original post. I'm fully aware that the issue is a physical dent, not mere discoloration, I was simply trying to figure out the discrepancy.

I don't think you do. I'm simply outlining the 3 possible explanations for this occurrence, one of which (hitting it with something hard) is highly unlikely. The edges are where the anodization is going to be the thinnest and where it is likely to get the most contact with your skin. The issues like this I've seen with other MacBooks/PowerBook G4s haven't been mere discoloration, but actual pits.

19. atMac macrumors 6502

Mine started doing that after a year or so. It's a problem with the metal. I think its due to the salt in your palm sweat eating the metal.