Aluminum Macbook Pro hinge not even...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by windstarfy, May 22, 2009.

1. windstarfy macrumors member

windstarfy

Hey everyone.

I bought a 2.53Ghz Macbook Pro from Hong Kong in early January 2009 this year.

It has been fine, until Wednesday afternoon. After I cleaned my screen with LCD cleaner and worked on my assignment, my screen suddenly flashed brightly and then inverted its colours. It flashed back to the original colours and then back into inverted. Flashed a couple of times in brightness where you know it's broken or something is faulty. I called Applecare and had to sent to an AASC where I should be expecting it back soon (I heard the certified service people say that they had a similar problem with the Macbook Pro (Aluminum my model).

But anyway, I have a cosmetic/aesthetic problem with my Macbook Pro. It's something minor but I would really also like to get this checked out. I haven't dropped it, scratched it or done anything to it but when I close my lid, the left side is still above the base, about 2mm off compared to the right.

I thought this was a minor problem and was 'normal', but when I saw my friend's Aluminum Macbook, it didn't have this problem and was perfectly shut and even.

I'd like to know if this is worth giving Applecare a call and what would they do to the computer? If this a hinge problem and would they replace the case for me free of charge? It was like this when I first got it.

2. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

It is a dilemma. As i have heard positive and negative responses from apple. However as the machine is still new and under warranty I don't see any harm in trying. I have heard that people with similar cosmetic issues got their macs replaced (if not fixable).

3. windstarfy thread starter macrumors member

windstarfy

I'm getting the Macbook Pro back on Monday (apparently it was delayed as they were missing some screws...)

Should I bring this issue up to them when I pick up my Macbook Pro on Monday? (I don't think they sell Macbooks, only servers/networking), or do I call up Applecare first?

What is the procedure?

I call up Applecare, they contact a Authorised Reseller with my info, I go and ask for an exchange? (If I get it replaced)

Or do I call up Applecare, I get referred to the same service center, and get a new case installed?

I bought my Macbook Pro new and so it isn't a refurbished model.

4. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Just contact applecare directly. If you contact the reseller, they are very likely to say the typical response "it is a manufacturing issue and it is not our fault"

As for the procedure; You will contact applecare, they will hopefully admit it is a manufacturing error, then ask you to ship it to them. Fix it (or replace it), then return it. It is also possible they will ask you to to take to the reseller to fix it. However the former is more likely.

And it doesn't matter if refu. or new.

5. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

apple touts its superior hardware but the truth is that their products are mass produced so nothing is perfect. things will not align and buttons will feel and click differently or hinges will be loose. dont fall into the mac illusion and think theyre a superior company because overall theyre just like most companies.

6. Jongewehr macrumors 6502

i noticed mine has the same thing the other day.

an that one side lookin at the side of the hinge ,
    that there seems to be 2 pieces of the hinge

. an one one side the bottom piece of the hinge is not perfectly flush like the other side. an you can push on it, just a little ,an make it flush for a second,

an it seems like one side does this an the other doesnt is because, the screen is not flush on the back like the OP said,
    an the aluminum of the screen seems to hold the 2 pieces together, an since its not level one side is lose.

EDIT: mine was not flashin colors just the hinge thing
    anything to be worried about?

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well if you take it an authorized reseller they will almost certainly not exchange it.

If you call AppleCare they may send you a box to have it repaired. If you're screen is flashing colors, it's a hardware issue.