(aluminum) Macbook Pro keyboard wears too fast...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hoangluong, Jan 21, 2009.

1. hoangluong macrumors member

hoangluong

Hi, does anyone with a problem with (aluminum) Macbook Pro black keyboard wearing out too fast?

It's been only about 3 months since I bought my Macbook Pro, but the keyboard now looks like I'd been using it for 3 years. The keys look pretty much worn out and the wear all looks quite visible, especially the Space bar, Tab or Shift keys. I don't use any cover for the Macbook, screen or keyboard. I frequently clean the keyboard (once every 2 weeks) by using a piece of cloth damped with water.

My questions:

- Can I change the keyboard after 1-2 year when the keyboard wears out too badly that I can't even see the letter on each of the keys?

- What can I do about the keyboard problem? Buy a cover for it? Buy an external Apple keyboard? etc...

Thanks a lot for your time!!!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd give Apple a call or take it to an Apple Store and show them.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

4. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

a silicone cover might slow down your typing speed and or uglify the computer

5. Benjic macrumors regular

I've had my MacBook Pro Unibody for about 9 days now and I'm seeing the shiny key thing going on, I'm kinda bummed out, but thems the breaks I guess. Next year when apple releases a new shiny laptop, I'll buy that one, and sell this to a co-worker for close to what I paid for it.

6. tecknical macrumors regular

pics? this is odd because ive seen people with powerbook G4's and their keyboards still look like new, so i'd like to know how widespread and serious this problem is

7. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

You can buy a cover for it.

Can we see some pictures so we can see how it looks?

8. dudemac333 macrumors newbie

dudemac333

I would recommend getting an external keyboard. I have Apple's wired keyboard and I always plug it in to prevent my keys from being worn over time. I have heard that the Moshi ClearGuard is a good keyboard protector though. Also, an external keyboard in my opinion is more comfortable because you can plug it in and sit back comfortably while typing or gaming :)...plus you get an extra two usb ports with Apple's wired keyboard.

9. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
  10. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

I totally sympathize with the unattractive greasiness, but the letters should not be wearing off...

11. infernohellion macrumors 6502

infernohellion

The Apple Aluminum keyboard that comes with the iMac does wear quickly (for the white keys) but I don't expect the black keyboard to turn bad that fast :(

12. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I've noticed my spacebar has almost like a grease mark where my thumbs have been pressing it.

Tried cleaning it, but no luck. Not really that bothered - as long as my letter keys don't start doing that and smudging the characters.

13. PDE macrumors 68020

I think Apple changed the quality of the keyboards. My mother has a powerbook G4 that is three years old and the keyboard looks pretty much new with only slight wear. She uses it every day. My macbook pro from last summer got very visible wear after just a few months. There also seem to be two keyboard manufacturers - one that uses a very shiny, smooth finish and the other a rather course finish.

14. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

15. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

Could it be the people reporting this have abnormally greasy fingers? I do know the oils on our fingers can break down things so wondering if these people are very oily skin.

16. MacFever macrumors regular

MacFever

pics or it didn't happen. lol

this is odd though...I guess lately we aren't too surprised with Apple's quality control glitches like this.

17. Crash1234 macrumors regular

Hmm... I went through a few mpb's due to defects, and I know at least one of them that I only had for a couple of days developed grease marks on the keys, which was quite fast. However, the one I own now, which is about 2 months old, does not show any wear or grease marks, shockingly. I mean, the grease level of my fingers hasn't changed, still the same fingers. Maybe some of the keyboards wear faster than others? I'd say either don't look at it, or just try to get some type of protector for it. The letters shouldn't start rubbing off too soon.

18. jampat macrumors 6502a

Did they get rid of the backlit keyboard on the new MBP? To wear off a letter on the backlit keyboard, you would literally have to wear all the way through the key, I don't care how much you type, that isn't going to happen. There is a program that allows you to force the keyboard light on all the time, it makes it easy to see the letters, I don't have my mac here, so I can't tell you what it's called.

19. lordthistle macrumors 6502

This kind of posts must be published with a picture.

I don't think the building process of the MBP keyboard is different from the one used in the MBA. And a lot of people with MBA have been using their keyboard for months without any problem.

May be you clean it too often...

20. balinmar macrumors newbie

i have the same problem. keys are all worn out after only one month. it cant be the grease because i always clean my hands before using the laptop. im really thinking about getting a cover but they really seam to ruin the beauty of the laptop, but then again so does worn out keys hahaha.

21. Quagmire1088 macrumors newbie

Quagmire1088

i would probally agree with the over cleaning,

again agreeable but i do sympathise with the greasy keys,

22. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I really think the shiny key issue is something that's specific to the user's hands. My Unibody keys look brand new still and I type on it all the time. More notable is my wired aluminum keyboard. I've had it since it was launched and still no shine...just off-white keys.

;)

23. UpsetUser macrumors newbie

Im experiencing the same glossy keyboard problem and my hands are not oily

I keep my hands clean and try to keep my first laptop in pristine condition but these glossy spots are not helping...

i just spent 2500 on a macbook pro just to have it look like a piece of sht with an ugly keyboard

any idea what apple will do if i call them... this is absurd especially after i spent that amount of money on the machine

anyone know where to get a moshi guard in toronto?

i looked on amazon but with shipping it came out to 80 dollars

any canadian sites or stores that sell this item???

even though i rather not ruin the look any more with a keyboard cover oO

whats the point of having a machine when u cant even use it normally

pissed off mac user

24. skwirl341 macrumors member

...seriously? Is this guy for real? This isn't some kind of joke is it?

25. Hack On Wheels macrumors newbie

That doesn't sound like a joke. It sounds like a valid issue to me, expensive hardware should be high quality and should last under reasonable (normal) usage. Do you remember how you used to be able to pay a premium to buy quality products that would not only work well, but that would also last? The fan-boy/girl attitude of disbelief, and the unwavering belief in the infallibility of Apple is painful. All companies and products will have some amount of issues of shortcomings, no need to gloss over them or keep quiet about them.

I appreciate posts like that. I'm considering getting a loaded (for me at least) Mac as I will need the power and hi resolution of the 17" for my school and for my work. I'm not made of money though and I will need it to last me for a number of years. I appreciate knowing if all that money spent could result in me having a computer that doesn't wear well. I've gone through enough iPods already.