Aluminum Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacOSXuser, Apr 23, 2012.

1. MacOSXuser macrumors regular

Guys and gals

my macbook pro (aluminum) has a 2.2ghz Core 2 Duo but it has been running very hot (high 80-low 90). I don't mind the excess heat but the RAM is running super hot even when i have more than 1GB of free ram. I have a cheapo kingston ram 667 in there bought years ago, it is 2x2GB. I am wondering if all 667 ram are like that this hot or just because it was cheap?

thank

2. simsaladimbamba

How hot does the RAM become? And what application do you use to monitor it?

The below temps are in Celsius. RAM temps are not reported here.

[​IMG]

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

3. MacOSXuser thread starter macrumors regular

too hot to touch, like the CPU 80-90C, thanks.

4. simsaladimbamba

You can't even touch the RAM. It is below the logic board, which is below the keyboard.

Again, what app do you use to measure the temps of the RAM?

5. MacOSXuser thread starter macrumors regular

you don't own a aluminum macbook pro do you? NOT the unibody macbook pro if you get confused. The RAM is under a cover which is accessible on the bottom cover, the heat can be felt by hand just like placing my hand under the CPU on the bottom cover, it is too hot to touch. If the CPU is running at 80-90C and is too hot to touch which I know because i have istatpro and smcfancontrol, then the RAM would at least be 80C.

6. PAPO macrumors 6502

yeh, my ram used to get quite hot, ram tends to get far hotter than you would expect, even in my PC with lots of space and even a fancy heat-sync.

I'd suggest SMC fan control it won't help your ram much but it'll help keep things cooler in general

7. simsaladimbamba

Forgot about that old beauty, sorry.
    How fast are your fans spinning?

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

You cannot touch the CPU and actually feel the 80-90C. What you think is hot is something like 50C probably. The CPU is covered by the heat-spreader and the heatpipes that lead to the cooling block. The stuff you can touch never gets all actually that hot.
    Neither does the RAM. Just check with some accurate temp sensor like a laser if you find one. If you actually touch that stuff without even removing the bottom plate it is actually just 40-50 C that feels hot but it is not 80-90 C hot.
    Heat a bath tube to 48C and try to get in. That feels also too hot to the touch even though it doesn't yet burn. If you take it slow you can get in.

BTW empty RAM or full RAM really shouldn't be any significant difference in terms of heat.

SMC does nothing to the RAM because the RAM in notebooks has no cooler not even a heat spreader. It might reach 65C but that is it and no matter the load it won't get more.