Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
I'm trying to help my roommate with her MacBook.

She has a 2008 Aluminum MacBook, the standard 2.0Ghz model. Occasionally when she moves the screen or tries to angle it, it flickers. This doesn't happen every time.

I honestly haven't tinkered with any Mac laptops once the unibodies came out, so I am hoping someone can shed some light, give some advice, and maybe throw out some ideas for repairs.

She doesn't have a lot of money, so any frugal solutions are appreciated. Thanks.

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
I'm trying to help my roommate with her MacBook.

She has a 2008 Aluminum MacBook, the standard 2.0Ghz model. Occasionally when she moves the screen or tries to angle it, it flickers. This doesn't happen every time.

I honestly haven't tinkered with any Mac laptops once the unibodies came out, so I am hoping someone can shed some light, give some advice, and maybe throw out some ideas for repairs.

She doesn't have a lot of money, so any frugal solutions are appreciated. Thanks.

The little display connector wire can become loose and cause this. You have to have someone open it up and fix it. Or go to ifixit.com and find a teardown guide. Check all the connectors.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
Thank you for the response. I am savvy enough to follow the ifixit guide and check the connections.

If anyone has any other ideas, let me know. I will give this a go tomorrow and report back.

marsmissions

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2010
Washington, US
Did you buy apple care? If not you MAY still have the standard 1 year warrantee on it. If it does, just take it in because doing it yourself may void your warrantee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.