Aluminum Macbook Sleep issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by teejaysyke, Jul 25, 2014.

1. teejaysyke macrumors regular

I have the Late 2008 Aluminum Macbook and when I shut the lid, the screen goes black and the sleep light comes on, but sometimes the screen comes back on, then goes off again with the lid shut.

It also, always takes about a minute or two before the sleep light begins fading and throbbing?

Is this normal? If not, is there something I can do to fix it? If not, it's fine.

2. Big Ron macrumors 6502

Big Ron

This is the wrong forum for this question, it probably wont get many replies. Can I suggest you resubmit this question in the MacBook Pro section, you will receive a reply pretty quick I'm sure:)

3. teejaysyke thread starter macrumors regular

It's not a macbook pro though, it's the Late 2008 Aluminum Macbook

4. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

It is indeed a MacBook. My Late '08 did the exact same thing on occasion. And I never really linked it to any one thing. Though after doing a fresh install of OS X on to a new SSD, it did eventually go away.

As for the time it takes, what sleep does by default on a notebook with OS X is that it actually saves what is in RAM to the hard disk so if the battery dies, or is removed, it will be able to restore what you are working on (think hibernate in Windows). The issue with this is that it can take a long time to write 4-8GB of data to a hard disk. This is greatly diminished with an SSD, but is still there.

It can be disabled however, and go to sleep almost instantly with a terminal command.
    Code:
    sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
    I had mine set this way for speed, and it was usually plugged in or had a decent charge when sleeping and being moved anyway that it wasn't ever an issue. I'd always save my work first too.

The display coming back on is usually something needing to be done or something waking it quickly, could be a wireless device, bluetooth, some pice of software, etc. It can be difficult to find. As I said, mine went away with a clean install. But it hadn't done it much before Mavericks, or maybe Lion. Anything before that was always fine. :rolleyes:

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

A fresh reload of OS X may greatly help here.

Bluetooth can cause a wake up anytime a device sends a signal to the Mac. It is best to disable Bluetooth when not in use for energy conservation on the battery and to prevent accidental waking. Good idea about setting the hibernate image...

6. teejaysyke thread starter macrumors regular

It was doing it on Lion for me too! I would do a clean install, but I currently don't have an external hard drive to back up my stuff too, so I'm kind of screwed. I'm going to try your command, especially since I never really do any kind of work with my computer, usually just internet/twitter and occasionally photoshop, but I would save my documents before going to sleep and exiting it anyway.