Aluminum MacBook takes a while to fall asleep

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by celticpride678, Nov 1, 2009.

1. celticpride678

My Aluminum MacBook takes around 20 seconds to fall asleep. The screen only shows the mouse until it falls asleep. This started happening when I upgraded to Snow Leopard. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Is it safe to assume you've done an SMC reset and zapped the PRAM?

3. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Yes. I have tried both and two times each. Sorry I did not include it in my OP.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well something must be running and taking a long time to actually become inactive. I don't think a Bluetooth or USB device would be the culprit because that's usually a cause of a computer not sleeping at all or waking from sleep. Perhaps see what processes are running still after every you've quit all apps. Perhaps quit everything and see if it helps.

Do you have any HP software installed? And you did a PMU reset right? Or does that not apply?

5. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

I have HP Software installed. Nothing else is running other than system processes. I don't think I can do a PMU reset on my specific model.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Maybe the sleep state of your laptop has been reset or something.

There are three sleep states on can change via Terminal or SmartSleep (which adds a fourth).
    Hibernate - write all the information of the RAM to the HDD and switch off the computer entirely - it will take up to 30 seconds with 4GB RAM
    Hibernate and Sleep - write all the information of the RAM to the HDD and go to sleep - it will take up to 30 seconds with 4GB RAM
    Sleep only - just go to sleep (like the PPC laptops did) without writing the contents of the RAM to the HDD

Maybe SmartSleep can remedy your problem.

[​IMG]

7. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

That application did not help either. Any more ideas?

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I've read over at Apple Support that HP software can affect sleep. Can you uninstall temporarily and see how that works?

9. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

I quit the HP Event Handler in Activity Monitor and it seemed to fix the issue. I then removed it from startup and it still seems to work fine. I hope that it will not interfere with my printing/scanning, but this issue seem to be solved for now. Do you have any idea of what this process does? Thanks for the help.