Aluminum MacBooks and 3rd-party RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sine-nomine, Dec 7, 2008.

1. sine-nomine macrumors regular

An article at another blog suggested that the new aluminum MacBooks might not be working so well with 3rd-party RAM, but that the Apple-branded stuff works just fine. Any ideas as to why this may be so? Does it affect the MacBook Pros? Could this be something Apple have done to lock us into their stuff? Just curious.

Here's a link to the article:
    http://www.tuaw.com/2008/12/07/aluminum-macbooks-unstable-after-3rd-party-ram-upgrade/

2. klittle32 macrumors member

Has anyone installed the 4GB kit from Crucial?

Has anyone installed the 4GB DDR3 kit from Crucial on their aluminum MB? I just ordered mine and subsequently came across the aforementioned article and am wondering if anyone can confirm whether the 4gb kit is working in the aluminum MB.

3. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Apple tend to use Crucial ram anyway. Apple don't make their own ram, it must be just a few cases that certain 3rd Party Ram isn't working correctly

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Macbooks have been notoriously picky about which RAM they want to work with, but this is something which has spanned back years, its nothing new. Apple dont make their own ram, they just stick an apple sticker on their chosen manurfacturers offerings, however if your thinking about buying 3rd party ram yourself then crucial is a good, if not slightly expensive start

:)

5. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

I'm using the Crucial 4G update suggested by the Crucial scanner. Works just fine for me in my Oct Alu MB 2.4G. Had some random lockups before the firmware update but none since.