Aluminum MacBooks And iLife '09

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iNeurox, Jan 14, 2009.

1. iNeurox macrumors member

Hi,

It's been one year now that I am saving money for a MacBook. Yesterday was my birthday and I finally got enough money to buy myself a brand new Aluminum MacBook 2.4 Ghz (stock configuration) for school/home.

I am REALLY excited. I just can't wait to order it online with the student discount !!!

But before buying, I was just wondering : when will iLife '09 be preinstalled on the Aluminum MacBooks when you buy it online ? Is it the day they release iLife '09 a.k.a. at the end of January ? I know that you can buy iLife '09 for about 10 bucks after buying a new Mac right now, but I think I can wait until it is preinstalled on new Macs, so I wanted to know if any of you knew when it's gonna happen.

So, yeah, really excited, I wanted this baby for so long !

Thanks in advance. :)

iNeurox

2. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Well, I'm guessing if you go to an Apple Store when iLife is released, if it's not pre installed, they'll give you a separate disc for it.

And congratz on your purchase :)

3. kolax macrumors G3

End of January is when iLife '09 is being released.

So, I'd order in the first week of February to be sure.

4. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

right now all alum macbooks have ilife08. if you purchase a macbook after jan 6th you have an option to pay $9.95 when ilife09 comes out to upgrade. Or you can wait till ilife09 ships and it will be preinstalled on the macbook then. There is no official date when it is released yet. I'm waiting for it too :)

5. iNeurox thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. I think I'll just wait for it to come out, which will probably be soon, so I won't be waiting for that long ! :)

6. iCAR macrumors member

amazon has a release date of jan 20 for iLife 09

7. krypticos macrumors regular

congrats on the buy. also amazon has a date set for feb 20 (link), and on apple discussion site the people with pre orders are saying that it will be feb 2 when there receipt says it will ship. here is the link. i cant wait to get ilife 09 i use imovie hd and 08 all the time and i like them both but imovie 09 just looks so good.

8. mark34 macrumors 6502a

unless the 9.95 is impactful to you, I cannot imagine waiting just to get iLife '09. The upgrade is easy as pie. I bought my Macbook last week. I already put in my order for the upgrade. Supposed to arrive around Feb 2.

9. iNeurox thread starter macrumors member

Alright then, I have reconsidered it and I might place my order tomorrow or tonight. 9.95$ is really cheap for such a great suite !

10. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

11. CoreyMac macrumors regular

I called to get my ilife 09 update disc....they said it would ship the first week of february..feb 2nd if I remember correctly

12. brazil5376 macrumors member

I just bought ilife 08 2 weeks ago. do you thik they'll give me a free upgrade or discounted upgrade.

13. RoboHaXX macrumors newbie

I just bought a MacBook a couple days ago from Best Buy. They said the Apple rep was coming by next week to swap out iLife '08 to '09 on instock macs. I decided to just pay the $10 upgrade and have it shipped to me from apple.

14. applephysci macrumors regular

Are you sure about this? I was informed by an Apple genius that once Apple officially seals a mac box, the consumer is the only one that can open it, even if it's for upgrades. My assumption's been that Apple would swap old mac boxes with new sealed boxes containing macs that are preloaded with iLife '09. I think Apple may then bring back in the old mac boxes, update them to iLife '09 and to the latest Apple version/software updates, and then restock them with serial numbers as new macs.

It's iffy if it's like you say, i.e. if a rep comes out, opens up boxes, upgrades to iLife '09 and reseals them.

15. RoboHaXX macrumors newbie

I'm sure that's what the salesman told me, yeah.

16. shoppy macrumors 6502a

That is not strictly true, I had a leopard upgrade dvd in mine, when leopard came out. This was true for two machines I purchased one from apple store 2nd from reseller. However the CTO machine came with just lepoard.

17. applephysci macrumors regular

This is inaccurate.

For those that are concerned about buying a mac now (and purchasing an iLife upgrade later) as opposed to waiting for it sometime in February, here's what I learned from two independent Apple Geniuses today:

Apple swaps out old mac boxes with NEW SEALED BOXES containing macs that are updated to the latest OS version AND preloaded with iLife '09.

As shoppy stated, it may not be strictly true, but it pretty much is the standard.