Aluminum MB ichat video not working

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tman07, Apr 28, 2009.

1. tman07 macrumors regular

Hey guys and girls-
    Currently, my web cam is not working in ichat.... and I'm not sure why. It was working fine yesterday, and photobooth is currently working.

When i go into preferences, The green light comes on, but then says that "this computer does not support video conferencing"

I restarted my computer, and it still is not working...

2.0 2GB ram, 160GB HD, 10.5.6

Suggestions?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Check/adjust:

1. System Preferences>QuickTime>Streaming (adjust streaming speed)
    2. iChat>Preferences>Audio/Video (adjust bandwidth limit) (also check the settings under Audio/Video)

3. tman07 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestion, but...
    A. Im not sure what i would adjust those to-
    B. Apparently, I'm on a slow network (according to the connection doctor):confused:
    [​IMG]
    ^since when is that slow?^

My friend sitting next to me (literally) on his mac can video chat no problems. We are on the same network.

SIDENOTE:
    when under preferences in iChat, the bandwidth monitor is grayed out, and i cannot adjust it.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

For Quicktime, you generally would set it up for 1.5 Mbps/Intranet/LAN or Intranet/LAN. For iChat bandwidth limit would be set as 1 or 2 Mbps.

You might want to create a new user and see if iChat works there. Also, are you able to video chat with the same person as your friend? Sometimes it's not your computer, but the person you're trying to video chat with.

5. tman07 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks again for the help!

I made a new account and i was able to video chat under my new account. could i just possibly delete my ichat .plist and reset everything?

And, Its across the board that I am not able to video chat under my normal name. It wont even give me the option.

Thanks SO MUCH again!

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If you're able to do so in the new user, try deleting all the .plist's that associate with iChat: com.apple.iChat.plist, com.apple.iChat.subnet.plist and com.apple.iChatagent.plist. I don't use iChat so I don't know how contacts are saved so by removing the plists, you might/might not delete your contacts.

7. tman07 thread starter macrumors regular

thank you SO MUCH!

I can finally get some studying done......

Deleted the .plists, and its all better! lost some settings, but nothing drastic!

thanks again!