Aluminum MBP 15" or uMBP 15"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Adammg, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Adammg macrumors newbie

Been looking at both the older Aluminum and Refurb Unibodies. Both have similar specs

Aluminum
    2.4Ghz
    2GB RAM
    VRAM 256(8600m GT)
    LED, Backlit Keyboard
    Matte Display

Unibody
    2.4Ghz
    2GB RAM
    VRAM 256 (9600m GT)
    LED, Backlit Keyboard
    Glossy Display

Other than looks and design both seem to be the same, older style I've found to be on average $100-200 cheaper. I do prefer the matte displays and don't have the money for a new Unibody with matte.

Any suggestions on which one to get, negatives of both. Is the older aluminum still relevant enough to consider buying?

2. ETID macrumors regular

A lot of people on here say that the 8600gt is problematic in the macbook pro but having said that this is a forum site.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Definitely unibody one. I would avoid MBP with 8600M GT like plague. NVIDIA admitted that all 8600M GT GPUs are defective so sooner than later you have to take it to repair

4. summits macrumors newbie

summits

5. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

I really like the old one better but I would avoid any non unibody MBP with NVIDIA graphics

6. Adammg thread starter macrumors newbie

What about one for 1,100 in excellent condition? Still stay away? I'm not going to be using it for graphic intensive stuff? does that matter?

7. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

The graphics card almost invariably fry regardless of any use or the lack there of!

8. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

Apple has free extended warranty on the defects. Just find one that has Applecare on it if you want even more peace of mind. I would only buy the MBP 4.1 however which was the generation right before the Unibody. MultiTouch is nice.

9. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Since you prefer matte and don't have the money for a new unibody matte one the choice is obviously - the "classic" mbp.

They have extended the warranty for the 8600 card to 2 or 3 years, so no need for applecare.

I would avoid the glassy screens like plague.

10. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

The MBP 4.1 is pretty much the ideal workstation if matte is important. Only one with ExpressCard, matte and still have the newer features like MultiTouch. DL-DVI is also a lot more convenient than DisplayLink. I also like the keyboard on it better as it is a bit softer. However all my other Macs are chiclet and having one type of keyboard across all my computers would have been nice.

11. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I have the 8600gt and no problems 2 years out. If there is ever a problem, it's supposably covered by apple. While unfortunate, i wouldn't call it a dealbreaker.