Aluminum MBP Cleaner?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AFPoster, Jun 8, 2011.

1. AFPoster macrumors 65816

So i've used all recommended products from the forums and apple on how to clean the 2011 mbp aluminum shell. I have 2 smudges on the case by the apple symbol. Any ideas what will work to remove them? No idea how they got there but they wont come off.

2. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

3. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

Attached are the images, 2 different views. I'd like to avoid Bar Keepers Friend, haha.

Attached Files:

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

5. clickclickw00t macrumors regular

That looks like you had your laptop in front of a candle, and you burned it.

Happened to my friend once. If that's the case you essentially burned the aluminum and the best way is to get a new cover which is $50

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

7. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

Nope definitely not a candle. This laptop only goes to 3 places: My desk, my suitcase, my office. No lighter / candle anywhere in sight and I'm always next to my Mac.

8. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

Seconded.

9. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

If only that really works.

10. ibebyi macrumors member

+1

I've used this to get all kinds of weird crap off of hard surfaces. give it a go it should be pretty cheap :)

11. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

My guess is that it's finger tip dirt from being picked up. I'd try either a little dab of dish soap (Dawn, etc.) on a damp cloth (rinse well afterward) or the rubbing alcohol. Rubbing alcohol would probably be the easier of the two as it doesn't require rinsing.

12. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

Is alcohol safe to use on these cases?

13. duffer6 macrumors 6502

I think you may have thrown this is the case when you thought the computer was sleeping and in fact it was not. The unit continued to operate in your case with the lid closed thus you may have a residual heat damage on the case. Just a thought.

I never travel with my computer sleeping always shut it down if it goes in a case because a single network access ping or other event could wake it up while its packed up :eek::eek::eek::eek:

14. jenzjen macrumors 68000

This. Works wonders.

15. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I believe that Rubbing Alcohol is safe to use on the aluminum of Macs. Use it sparingly on a COLD Mac away from fire or pilot lights, etc. in a ventilated area (it's flammable) and DO NOT use it on the screen. Rubbing alcohol evaporates quickly so it shouldn't leave any kind of residue behind. Let us know how this turns out for you and what you end up using.

16. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

I'll use rubbing alcohol I'll just have to try it tomorrow morning since i'm on my mac now and i'll be on it till 10pm. wish me luck i'm nervous as hell now with using alcohol. also it's on the outer case not using it anywhere else.

17. Herrow macrumors regular

There are many things to clean it with, but be careful or you may ruin the anodized finish.

I have been using the Optimist Prime line for all professional and personal cleaning with great results.

18. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Just use it sparingly (don't let the alcohol get inside any openings) and on a small spot to test it (maybe the bottom), but I think you'll be okay.

19. deeesea macrumors 6502

It's aluminum, I don't see why it wouldn't be safe to use rubbing alcohol on it.

Why are we not supposed to use alcohol on the screen? it's a layer of glass over the LCD panel isn't it? I honestly don't think that the glass is some super sensitive/special "apple" glass that can only be treated with special apple certified cleaning solution. Of course, I'm open to any evidence that suggests otherwise, thanks!

20. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

That does seem to make sense, however when rubbing alcohol is mentioned for cleaning the aluminum of Macs, in the same breath is also mentioned to not use it on the screen. My guess is that this is info from the days of anti-glare screens and probably isn't applicable to the screens that have the glass (assuming it's glass) panel. Since at present I don't have a aluminum Mac in general or specifically a MBP I can't verify whether it's safe for the glass covered displays or not. I personally, probably wouldn't use it on the "glass" just in case it had an adverse effect (maybe it would effect the adhesive used).