Aluminum MBP Logic Board Fail: Fix or Replace

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by telejeff, Jul 5, 2010.

1. telejeff macrumors newbie

A1226 MBP Santa-Rosa chipset (2.6Ghz C2D) purchased December 2007

Last month I became one of the many who had their A1226 MBP die. I tried all the usual fixes/tests and pretty sure I need my logic board repaired/replaced. My local Apple genius seems to think so too. Unfortunately, I don't have apple care.

Because of the enormous logic board replacement cost ~$800+ on a laptop less 3 years old that was originally purchased for ~$3000, I've received sympathy from my local apple store. They offered to cut down the logic board replacement to ~$400 and offered a very tempting 25% discount towards the purchase of a new machine.

My biggest beef with the repair (replace logic board) is that it comes with a 1 year warranty. $400 is a lot of money to spend on a machine that, although is far from obsolete, is depreciating rapidly through its final $1000 (likely even lower) of worth. With that said, I suspect I'll probably need a new battery soon (I'm a heavy user). My fear is putting money into machine worth increasingly less with the potential of needing more service.

I spec'd out a new 15" core i7 w/ hi-res glossy + adapters + apple care which came to ~$2k after taxes.

On an mildly related note, my brother works at Art school within a top public university that exclusively uses macs and requires all students to buy a specified computer/software package (typically MBP + Adobe CS). Out all the machines (G#-era to i7-era desktops/laptops), the A1226 MBP has proven to be proportionally the most problematic. Would you guys say the A1226 is a problem child?

While I have the savings for a new machine, getting value for money is important. What would you do in my situation?

Would you get the logic board replaced?

Would you buy a new MBP? Would you also get the logic board replaced and sell the machine to minimize the loses? Would you sell the MBP broken (people repair them themselves or sell the parts)? How much could one expect to a sell an old MBP in either a repaired or broken state?

Thanks in advance!

2. telejeff thread starter macrumors newbie

Perhaps I wrote too much? Here's a shorter version:

Dead logic board in Aluminum 2.6Ghz MBP purchased December 2007.

Negotiated the logic board replacement to ~$400 and was offered a 25% discount to the purchase of a new machine.

What would you do?

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Personally, because you were able to get the price down from $800+ to $400, I think your options work in your favour.

One option is to get the repair done which will cost you +/- $400 and then get rid of it. The Santa Rosa MacBook Pro, although plagued with the 8600M GT defect, can still fetch almost close to $1000 - the money you make can be put towards a new Mac.

The other option is if your computer needs haven't changed and your computer is perfect for you, I can't say it's ridiculous to pay $400 to have it repaired if you can get another year out of it; it's a lot but if you need a computer and don't have the funds to get a new one, $400 isn't all that bad for a computer that still has time.

4. Bankaimadness macrumors 6502

replacement.

Higher quality specs and everything.

5. moral-hazard macrumors regular

Apple machines do have ridiculous resale value, and yours would fetch a decent price as mentioned. I personally have found that, whenever I upgrade a machine, selling the old one is a major plus if you don't need it.

I'd say do the replacement and continue to use it OR sell it (whichever you want).

The other alternative is doing it yourself. Look around for places that sell those logic boards, buy a decent set of precision tools for working with laptops, and replace it on your own. However, the $400 they offered you on the logic board is probably going to be hard to beat, and you won't get a warranty.

6. telejeff thread starter macrumors newbie

You guys really think I can get just under a grand considering it's been repaired and has no warranty? I figured people would want it much lower after that.

7. shortys408 macrumors regular

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Like mentioned, Apple computers have a high resale value. Everybody wants one but don't agree with the price so assuming you get everything working right and it's in good condition, there will be someone willing to buy it from you. Sure your MacBook Pro is old but isn't that old and it's still very usable.