Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jragsdale

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2003
If the lawsuit against Moto goes well the 970 might end up being called the "G5." That is, if the 970 ends up in the next Macs, which is likely.

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
Originally posted by CZone
Wow! 8+ slots for RAM?
Can the 970 support so much memory?

A 32 bit PowerPC (or other ) can directly support 4 GB of address space (memory).
A 64 bit PowerPC like the 970 in 64 bit "mode" can support... well a HUGE amount of memory. So I think 1 Gig DIMMS are available (or soon to be). So 4 DIMMs would only be 4 GB, not enough ! 8 DIMMS would give 8 GB. I am also assuming Dual Channel, so 2 times 4 DIMM, with 4 DIMMs per channel.
This would put Intel desktop machines (P4s) at a disadvantage. Which would not be a bad thing
:D

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by G4scott
Making the power supply external wouldn't work.

Daveg5: I disagree, The Cube PSU was years ago, Apple is always on the leading edge and may have some new ideals here, if so it would mean cooler, quieter, roomeier and more reliable computers , but I may be wrong.

Upgraded audio would be cool, but not too many people would need it. It'd be better to do a minor upgrade, but leave out the pro stuff. If they need it, they can buy it, but if Apple put it in, it would just jack up the price.

DaveG5: I totlally disagree with you here. Apple touts 24/192 Audio as one of OSX best features, yet refuses to upgrade its 80's 16 bit engine that is cpu dependent stealing fps and cpu cycles from apps. Just imagine if video, harddrive, mhz, and memory were left to stagnate and be ignored for so long. If M-audio can sell 24/192 7-1 pci/usb sound cards for $69 and make a profit, surely Apple can upgrade to 24bit/96 compatable sound with a digital out for surround systems probably add $10 to the unit.
With 24/96 multichannel dvd-audio and sacds and dvd titles on the market and powermacs producing/authuoring a lot of these soon, "it only makes audio sense after 15 years" to finally upgrade the audio to the operating systems specs". True pros can still get there Gold plated multi channel firewire/usb/pci/dsp cards for hundreds seperately.

What would be cool, though, are special model desktops for different markets. A DV edition PowerMac. a Pro audio edition, a desktop publishing edition, you know. A base PowerMac design with different 'packages' that transform it into whatever you need or want, thus saving money for people who don't need an expensive audio card, graphics card, dvd burner, tons of HD space, and all that...

DaveG5: Totally agree with you here, Apple should take a look at dell.com and stop charging so much more for memory and harddrive upgrades on thier site. I mean why pay more to get a 120GB drive when it cost more then retail and you dont get credit for the one you are replacing that was including and memory prices are higher then going to kingston or micron who supply Apple.
I am all for more choices at fair prices and models geared toward vid/audio/graphics/design with a high customization factor

Of course, I imagine many pros would prefer to select their own equipment to make their Mac just right.

DaveG5: In most cases yes, but if Apple had a fair priced turnkey system I would go for it and many others

DaveG5 The Aluminum Powermac Pic from last year i think is very close to what we will see with a little more detailing and upfront usb/firewire ports

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Originally posted by CZone
Wow! 8+ slots for RAM?
Can the 970 support so much memory?

The 970 has 42-bit addressing capability, allowing it to access approximately 4 TB of memory (4,000 GB).

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Originally posted by szark
The 970 has 42-bit addressing capability, allowing it to access approximately 4 TB of memory (4,000 GB).
Can't wait for the 1st 1TB memory stick! (DIMM, holographic crystal, magic gnome, who knows what'll be!)

tazo

macrumors 68040
Re: Aluminum PowerMac?

Originally posted by Macrumors
MacWhispers provides some confirmaton for LoopRumors story of redesigned PowerMacs.

The report claims that the front panel of the upcoming PowerMac will be made of anodized aluminum -- much like the most recent PowerBook revision. According to the site, it will be "suprisingly sleek"

god i hope not. the aluminum powerbooks are a-s-s ugly. honestly. why would apple make one awesome looking tower look like absolute crap by adding a grittle to its surface? if i saw a 17'' in titanium the thing would look like it was worth a million bux-and it would be, however its in that ghastly aluminum finish that u can cook with. :p

jragsdale

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2003
What's wrong with the current case? It ain't broken for me so I can't see why Apple needs to fix it. I can see where some feel it's flaws are: weight, noise, and lack of having two optical drives and look as nice as the Quicksilver.

The door and handles make a lot of sense. Why take them away for a boring square shaped box? Brushed aluminum be damned.

silvergunuk

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2003
England
mac tower design

My idea was a slimline tower that had a white scratch metal front and was glass on the sides with an apple logo that glows brighter the darker the room gets. Maybe a nice white light to match the front. Also a transparent keyboard with scratch metal flat keys and back lighting system. A 3 buttoned mouse (for us 3D artists) with a ipod type scroll wheel on the top to give more control over the cursor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.