Aluminum Skin for iPhone 5. Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by BludyAm, Nov 9, 2012.

1. BludyAm macrumors newbie

I want to find decent Aluminum Skin for the iPhone 5.

I came across the one in Amazon, but weren't sure as I've never heard of the company.

http://amzn.to/TxoI3P

[​IMG]

would you have any other suggestions?

Thanks for any help!

2. Jman13 macrumors 68000

The big problem with an aluminum skin is that it will kill reception. If there aren't breaks in the aluminum around the antenna, you will massively lose cellular signal.

However, this case does more than that. The BACK of the phone also can't have metal covering the two glass windows on the back (there's a reason they're there, and not solid aluminum like the rest of the phone). A case like this would cause pretty significant Wi-Fi and GPS signal degradation as well.

It's hard to say how much, but I know when I replaced my glass back on my iPhone 4S with a titanium back, my GPS signal was negatively affected (and cellular reception was slightly reduced as well). If GPS was a little weak, I'd end up completely losing a signal, or be hundreds of yards off when I had the metal back installed. With glass? No problems...ever. With the 5, you can put a new skin over the existing aluminum on the back, but don't cover the windows.

3. BludyAm thread starter macrumors newbie

Aww that's a bummer.

I just like metal stuff, it just looks so cool

I should then also try to find different solution for this

Thanks a bunch for your help!

4. ProudLoz macrumors regular

I have a feeling those things are just going to kill your reception since it's using aluminum on the back where I've read that you're not supposed to cover the glass part with any kind of metal.

Your best bet is to buy some stickers that give the look of alumminum. You can get them at iCarbons or Sticker Boy.