Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SomeGuy2112

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
I do wish there was a sapphire upgrade option with the aluminum case...

I've been through S0, S2, and just picked up a S3 LTE and all have been SG Aluminum. Knock on wood, I haven't gotten a single scratch in the anodizing, but the glass on my S0 showed a lot of wear when I traded it in. Glass on the S2 held up very well, but I didn't have it nearly as long.

Love the look and weight of the aluminum casing, and I'd gladly pay more for sapphire.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I’ve had stainless steel series 0, gold series 0 and the black colored Nike series 2–can’t remember if it was called space grey or space black. I have a silver aluminum Nike Series 3 on the way.

I think the SS is the best looking but I really like the comfort of the lighter series 2 and 3 aluminum watches with the ceramic backs. I was not fond of the gold series 0 Sport with the plastic back. That watch bricked itself anyway. I guess if one of my watches had to die it’s just as well it was that one because it was sticky with that plastic back. I got it on a good sale at Best Buy. I did discover gold aluminum wasn’t going to be one of my favorite colors in the long run. Though I do like the new gold. I really love my black Nike watch. It looks nice with all of the Nike band colors I bought for it.

I think the sapphire isn’t as clear as the crystal on the Sport watches but of course I do appreciate its durability and scratch resistance.

MarkBearSF

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
I really wanted the Milano Black band but was worried that it might look awkward with the space grey aluminum watch. No need to worry. The way the light glints off the black mesh band, it looks a bit lighter and matches the muted matte finish of the case.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
You could list pros and cons to both. I think in the end its a personal preference. I myself prefer the stainless steel because I like the heft/weight to it, sapphire glass display and for the variety of bands (I wear the Milanese and Link bracelet frequently).

I owned a series 0 stainless steel and upgraded to a S3 aluminum recently.

1) Aluminum is lighter. With the series 3 already packing a larger battery than series 2, those of us who dislike feeling like we have a weight strapped to our wrist have incentive to go aluminum.

2) Aluminum has a matte finish, which in my view is nicer looking than the stainless steel, which has a metallic finish. I felt my Series 0 was too shiny.

3) Aluminum costs more as a material than steel. Inexpensive cars are made from steel. Luxury cars are made from a mix of steel, aluminum and sometimes carbon fiber. By pricing the aluminum model below the steel, Apple makes the aluminum model a bargain.

4) the screen will always be brighter on aluminum versus steel.

Making a list like the one above is quite subjective. Nothing wrong with it, but really isn't an objective way to conclude that the aluminum model is better than stainless steel one.

I could easily do the same:

1) Stainless steel is heavier, it gives the watch more heft and a more premium feel.

2) Stainless steel has a polished finish, which in my view is nicer looking than the aluminum which has a cheap looking finish and doesn't match well with the steel bands available.

3) Price is a definite pro for the aluminum model.

4) The sapphire glass display will always be more scratch resistant on the stainless steel model. This is especially important for a device that you're wearing with the screen facing outward.

In all honesty I do like both models. I really like the different gold colours that have been available for aluminum as well. My wife wears a rose gold with a handful of different bands and it always has a very catchy look to it.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
I originally bought the SS series 3 but returned it for a S3 Aluminium, I didn't feel like it was worth £220 more when it does the same thing, with the money saved I bought 2 extra bands.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Well that's it. If you're buying the SS because you want the Apple Watch as a dressy Watch, you're making a mistake. The resale value is much lower than other Apple products. The Watch just isn't worth sinking money into. You could get a much nicer traditional Watch for the same price. The SS/ceramic are like a fitness tracker wearing a tux, spend your money elsewhere. But then some people have too much money to burn, as I see frequently on a forum such as this. :p
Don't get this idea of buying something for resale value. Does one buy a suit, shoes, or even a Mac or iphone with resale value as one of the core criteria? The SS, IMHO, is a much nicer looking watch that smacks smartness and elegance. I wouldn't buy an aluminium one as IMHO it looks really cheap. I get that there are a different set of opinions. However, no mistake in looking at a SS as a dressy watch. Some of my work colleagues have upgraded from aluminium to SS this time round for the same reasons.

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
Don't get this idea of buying something for resale value. Does one buy a suit, shoes, or even a Mac or iphone with resale value as one of the core criteria? The SS, IMHO, is a much nicer looking watch that smacks smartness and elegance. I wouldn't buy an aluminium one as IMHO it looks really cheap. I get that there are a different set of opinions. However, no mistake in looking at a SS as a dressy watch. Some of my work colleagues have upgraded from aluminium to SS this time round for the same reasons.
well, if you know that you are going to sell your watch in exactly one year when the next Generation comes out, yes the resale value could be a concern.

Reactions: 576316

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I went steel because of durability. After your screen gets scratched, you will wish you had, too.

Actually, I found my SS S0 to look far worse than my SO's Sport S0 after a year. Mine horribly scratched and dulled, hers still looking as-new. But the sapphire screen is still flawless, granted. Her screen also was completely unscratched, so that doesn't seem a worthwhile upgrade either, to me.

I think people will tell themselves what they want to, to justify their purchases. Buy what you like. But having experienced both types, I don't think the money is well spent. The ceramic and SS are trying to be something they're just not, but that's what Apple pray on - people willing to pay for such a frivolous premium. I think many who buy the premium Watches miss the point of the device entirely, and I was guilty of that myself the first time around.

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
Stainless steel costs more than aluminum.
Aluminum vs Steel Cost
Cost and price are always an essential factor to consider when making any product. The price of steel and aluminum is continually fluctuating based on global supply and demand, fuel costs and the price and availability of iron and bauxite ore; however steel is generally cheaper (per pound) than aluminum (see galvanized vs stainless for more info on steel). The cost of raw materials has a direct impact on the price of the finished spinning. There are exceptions, but two identical spinnings (one in aluminum and one in steel) the aluminum part will almost always cost more because of the increase in the raw material price.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I had a S0 space gray since launch day and had no issues with it. It looks brand new. If I could upgrade the internals I would but I can't. Skip S2 and held out for S3. This time I upgrade to the Space Black SS and I'm pretty happy with it. I don't mind the extra weight. I barely notice it anymore. My main concern is the case/coating scratching. I work in sports broadcasting so I'm constantly setting up tripods and throwing wires every which way and it will get banged around as did my space gray sport. I guess time will tell.
The only down for me right now is that I feel like I constantly need to polish the case.

Reactions: edhchoe

HeathH

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Honolulu, HI
I had a S0 space gray since launch day and had no issues with it. It looks brand new. If I could upgrade the internals I would but I can't. Skip S2 and held out for S3. This time I upgrade to the Space Black SS and I'm pretty happy with it. I don't mind the extra weight. I barely notice it anymore. My main concern is the case/coating scratching. I work in sports broadcasting so I'm constantly setting up tripods and throwing wires every which way and it will get banged around as did my space gray sport. I guess time will tell.
The only down for me right now is that I feel like I constantly need to polish the case.
You should be fine. The SBSS isn’t simply an anodized coating like the aluminum models. It’s a DLC coating that is extremely hard. I have been wearing the S0 SBSS with Black link band since 2015. I work in construction environments and the watch looks like the day I got it out of the box.

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
I have a Space Black SS on order. I like the additional heft of stainless steel. The aluminum models feel like a toy to me. I'm currently wearing a Garmin Fenix 5 with sapphire crystal. That weighs 87 grams. The stainless steel AW in 42 mm weighs about 53 grams. The aluminum in 42 mm with LTE weighs about 35 grams.

I just returned from a trip. I charged the Garmin before I left. It's now been 11 days since it was charged and I have 36 percent left on the battery. That's with it displaying messages from my iPhone, constant HR monitoring, tracking exercise, occasional altitude measurements, occasional GPS measurements, syncing to the app and my account, etc. The abysmal battery life of the Apple Watch is my biggest concern. I can't wait until battery technology catches up.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Actually, I found my SS S0 to look far worse than my SO's Sport S0 after a year. Mine horribly scratched and dulled, hers still looking as-new. But the sapphire screen is still flawless, granted. Her screen also was completely unscratched, so that doesn't seem a worthwhile upgrade either, to me.

I think people will tell themselves what they want to, to justify their purchases. Buy what you like. But having experienced both types, I don't think the money is well spent. The ceramic and SS are trying to be something they're just not, but that's what Apple pray on - people willing to pay for such a frivolous premium. I think many who buy the premium Watches miss the point of the device entirely, and I was guilty of that myself the first time around.

I do justify from past experience. My older SS looks like new. Aluminum is soft and will scratch and dent while the screen will look like cr*p in no time. I would not waste my money on the sport watch. Frivolous is buying something that will not hold up. That is a waste of money for sure.

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
I do justify from past experience. My older SS looks like new. Aluminum is soft and will scratch and dent while the screen will look like cr*p in no time. I would not waste my money on the sport watch. Frivolous is buying something that will not hold up. That is a waste of money for sure.
If that is the case for my Sport by the time I upgrade next year, I will probably get a SS or ceramic.

Reactions: Farrellcollie

Farrellcollie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
My watch 1 aluminum is not all scratched up. I got it used off of swappa and have worn it daily for about a year and a half or more (I don't actually remember the exact date I got it). It does not look like crap.
I just got a watch 3 aluminum with lte. I expect it to handle about the same and it will not be a waste of money for my purposes.
If you like your ss model or the aluminum model great - but why bother running down a different version that works just fine for other people?

Last edited:

technole

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2017
OP is trying to justify aluminum is the premium. It's not.

The features off-the-cuff say it's not. Every SS Series 3 has LTE, and Sapphire. That would also justify the higher cost.

doodads

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
East BF, TN
Aluminum vs Steel Cost
Cost and price are always an essential factor to consider when making any product. The price of steel and aluminum is continually fluctuating based on global supply and demand, fuel costs and the price and availability of iron and bauxite ore; however steel is generally cheaper (per pound) than aluminum (see galvanized vs stainless for more info on steel). The cost of raw materials has a direct impact on the price of the finished spinning. There are exceptions, but two identical spinnings (one in aluminum and one in steel) the aluminum part will almost always cost more because of the increase in the raw material price.

When it says Steel it is referring to carbon steel, not stainless steel.

Blas

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2017
Steel isn't always cheaper than aluminum. Further, the specific steel apple is using may not be cheaper than aluminum. The reason why traditional watches use steel more often is because steel is better at resting scratches than aluminum. I think the polish of the steel version makes it the most attractive apple watch.

Well that's it. If you're buying the SS because you want the Apple Watch as a dressy Watch, you're making a mistake. The resale value is much lower than other Apple products. The Watch just isn't worth sinking money into. You could get a much nicer traditional Watch for the same price. The SS/ceramic are like a fitness tracker wearing a tux, spend your money elsewhere. But then some people have too much money to burn, as I see frequently on a forum such as this. :p

Most watches in the same price range as an apple watch will have equally bad resale value, even swiss automatics.

Reactions: PaladinGuy

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011

Okay but I think the SS looks worse than the aluminium after a while of use.

But we all have different opinions and that’s what makes the world so great. :)

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Okay but I think the SS looks worse than the aluminium after a while of use.

But we all have different opinions and that’s what makes the world so great. :)

Just remember that you can polish out the micro scratches in the stainless and make it like new. Both of my stainless are black and I do not even have a nick or mark.

Enjoy what you have, Apple did a great job on the AW.

Reactions: bhodinut
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.