aluminum umb or poly umb

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by eninety88, Jan 31, 2010.

1. eninety88 macrumors newbie

i have a 10month old umb aluminum 2.4ghz. i just got an offer from a friend to trade me his brand new poly umb. I am actually considering it because id get another year from applecare, 7 hour battery and slightly better screen. trade offs that i'd miss the most.... backlit keyboard.... :/ thoughts, comments advice!!! thanks!!!

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

First off, your friend is clearly confused/doesn't know what he's doing. Feature-wise, his probably is better, but with yours only being 10mos old it probably has the improved/revised screen.

If you want to take advantage of him, trade. I couldn't do that to one of my friends though =\

3. bsblvnv macrumors regular

Personally I would take the deal, I have the uMB, and I absolutely love it. You will definitely get a better computer the only thing that you miss out on is the backlit keyboard, I don't know why that would be such a problem. I don't really know that many people that look at the keyboard when they are typing anyways. For me it has always been a distraction from the screen.

4. bsblvnv macrumors regular

I don't think it would be taking advantage of him. The MB is definitely a better laptop, but there are a lot of people who would just be happier having the aluminum MB because of the look.

5. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Keep the Aluminum MB,it's way better not to mention it's ALUMINUM!!!!I would so trade my new White Unibody for yours.:D

6. eninety88 thread starter macrumors newbie

any reason why you feel that aluminum is better other than looks?

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

IMO, that's about it.

8. thunderboltspro macrumors regular

temp wise between alum vs poly, i thought my old poly was cooking my balls while my new alum not so much.

9. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Its interesting that the general consensus in this thread is that the new white unibody Macbook is better than the old "Collectors edition" aluminum Macbook unibodies (2.0/2.4GHz). I have both and was thinking about trading my wife my new white unibody to get the aluminum heh. I guess the battery on the new white one is better. If you use separate mic and headphone ports often (audio recordings or whatever) the old aluminum uMB has 2 separate ports for mic + headphone while the new one has just 1 "combo port". The 2.4Ghz Intel P8600 should be a bit faster than the 2.26GHz Intel P7550 but it shouldn't be that noticeable day-to-day. Also I'm pretty sure the 2.4GHz P8600 supports Intel virtualization tech (supposedly better performance in virtual machines like VMWare Fusion/Parallels but I never actually tested it), not sure if the 2.26GHz P7550 supports it.

10. gerabbi macrumors regular

The glass on the uMB aluminium drove me absolutely bonkers. I let my wife have mine and got a MBA refurb. The reflections don't bother her. I cannot stand the high gloss display on that machine, but other than that it's a solid laptop, imho.;)