Aluminum Unibody is Easy to Dent

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by beth1400, Dec 27, 2008.

1. beth1400 macrumors newbie

I purchased my macbook less than a week ago and I wish I had been warned about how easy it is to dent the unibody. I stupidly left it by the bed and the cat dropped a glass on it. It is my fault, but now I have 2 large dents on the top. Fortunately, the damage is only cosmetic. If you are purchasing a new macbook, I highly recommend getting one of those plastic hard-shell cases as well. A macbook is a beautiful object! Best wishes on keeping it that way! (It hurts to even look at my poor computer!). I added this picture to show my lame attempt at covering the dents, a couple of stickers. Each dent completely fills the sticker. The computer has a 13 inch screen...so you can get an idea of scale.

Attached Files:

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's aluminum...

Cracks or dents. Take your pick.

3. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

What he said
    ;)

4. beth1400 thread starter macrumors newbie

neither

I pick the secret third item, not being so foolish in the future and leaving my expensive computer in an unsafe place. I can be soooo dumb sometimes! :)

5. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

:p

:) I have never looked after something as much in my life as i do this....

lol

6. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Ouch. I don't have any so far as I take care of my MB very carefully....

7. bunit macrumors regular

bunit

I have a couple of small dents in my "classic" Macbook Pro. Gives it character!;)

8. yokyoh macrumors newbie

well, i agree it needs some attention on protecting the shell, which can be easily forgotten by putting all ur attention to this exciting new machine..but maybe don't regret that you didn't buy that 'plastic hard-shell case'..just few year ago, i did something similar to prevent scratches to my ipod, but now, i would say it was useless although it keeps the surface nice and clean. it all because the real value of most apple product just goes down rapidly within a year, and since then nobody will have much interest in how nice ur 'old' machine looks like regardless to it has dents or anything unhappy...by which i mean when they announce their next design (soon no more than 1 and half year), ur macbook will just be the same as the same modules in the shop. it is true to most people anyway...so i feel sorry to ur accident, but take it easy, u still got a nice machine!

9. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

The top shell is not part of the "unibody." It's the same old thin aluminum shell they've been using since the introduction of the 12" and 17" PowerBooks.

Apparently, the actual "unibody" is much harder to dent or damage.

I had a 12" PowerBook G4 which I loved. However, it had all sorts of dents in it do to normal wear and tear at the end of its life cycle. The first dent I got was caused by a plastic Apple mouse that was knocked off my desk roughly 2 feet above the PowerBook (it was in clamshell mode).

I swore then never to purchase another aluminum Mac notebook. I guess when my plastic MacBook wears out, I'll get something else.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

:confused:

Does it honestly matter that much?

11. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I think it's a matter of personal expectations. I expect my $1500 notebook to be able to "take a few hits" without causing major damage.

It's going to get dinged and dropped as part of its normal operation. It's a tool, not something I'm going to leave on my desk because I'm afraid something will happen to it.

My PowerBook G4 was a great machine (in terms of size and functionality) but I think the aluminum design hindered its durability.

Everything I've read has said the new unibody notebooks are more durable (at least the main shell). Hopefully, in the future Apple will use their engineering talents to build a unibody-like top piece.

12. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

I don't see why the top would not be "unibody". The design is actually different from the other tops of the powerbooks/MBP, it would just cost to much to make a new one on a different manufacture process while you already got your top case and bottom case made from this.

It is aluminum after all. It's not the best anodized process you can get either. Aluminum is strong enough for certain use, but is just tender enough to get scratch and dent when it does receive a scratch. It might be different if it was steel, but it would just look ugly (chromed stainless steel Macbook? ugh..) and be a lot heavier.

Define major damage, because a few scratches and dents for me aren't really major, just cosmetic. A "Major" damage to me would be something that would affect the functionality of the machine, not the look.

13. Clayne macrumors 6502

It happens eventually, and usually without warning. hah.

I was taking really good care of mine, but my ex ended up handling it, and she set it down, then sat next to it, pressing her keychain in between her and my new aluminum macbook...

needless to say I now have a couple scratches and nicks on the side.

But I'm over it now. it'll happen eventually.

14. Babybandit macrumors regular

Well, it's unique now... Is it not? ;)

15. quotemeas macrumors regular

Well, this is kinda related...take it as some good to know stuff.

I personally carry extra coverage on my house insurance policy just for my electronics. It cost me about $1.25 a month for $4000 in coverage. This covers accidental damage and theft.

16. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

you can get the dents sucked out if your picky about it but its rather expensive.

:cool:

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Get a Thinkpad if you're worried about your compute denting.

18. KyPosey macrumors regular

KyPosey

i case mine after every use...no matter what.

19. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

+1, aluminum is pretty easy to dent, my PowerBook is covered in them. If you are worried about dents, get a hard case that hides the good looks of the computer or just get a blocky looking thinkpad.

20. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

I'm weird. I actually like the look of ThinkPads. :confused:

21. roamy macrumors member

yes you are very weird ! my daughter has one and it is the biggest POS i have seen. Plus the reason the notebooks are so tough is they have to absorb many throws of frustration.
    I also expect Mac is looking at carbon fiber body and we could see the first one with the new 17" MBP in Jan.

22. greenguy4 macrumors 6502

Its NOT just the top! I had mine in a booq sleeve, in a messenger bag, and my bag dropped about 2 feet. I know have a small dent in the bottom right corner of my new alumbook. You can't see it from the top of the computer but when you look at the side you can see a small cripple in it....drives me crazy because I am SUPER careful with my laptop.

23. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

the moral of that story is that booq sleeves suck

24. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Why is that normal operation? If your computer is getting dropped, there's something very wrong with the way you're treating it. If it's getting stuff dropped on it, ditto. Seriously, you pay $1500 for something and you don't do everything possible to keep from dropping something onto it? You deserve what you get.

jW

25. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

Maybe it's time to make your cat drink out of plastic cups?