Aluminum USB Keyboard not recognized

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iWonderwhy, Sep 18, 2011.

1. iWonderwhy macrumors 6502

iWonderwhy

Well this is a first, my wired (and always reliable) aluminum keyboard that came with my late 2008 iMac has completely stopped working, can't type a thing. It doesn't even show as connected in the system profiler.

Is it an issue with the USB ports? Doesn't seem to be as I am writing this from Apple's older previous generation plastic keyboard that came with my old G3.

So what exactly is the problem? I believe it may be a software issue, but what specifically?

Any help is much appreciated

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Have you tried the keyboard with another USB port on the computer? If so, have you tried it with another computer?

3. iWonderwhy thread starter macrumors 6502

iWonderwhy

Yes, I've tried it with the other USB ports on my computer and no success.

However, I have not tried it with another computer as it is currently out of town with a family member, leaving me only with the iMac to test it on.

It just seems so odd that it would just randomly go dead on me like that, I haven't spilled any liquids on it or anything, and I haven't changed my routine computer habits that would cause such a problem.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

----------

Just to add, I have tried restarting, repairing permissions, unplugging all cables from the ports, and plugging the mouse in a separate USB port instead of the keyboard one.

Actually, the mouse works just fine when it is plugged into the non-functional keyboard's USB port.

4. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

You really should try the keyboard on another computer than your own, but OS glitches involving keyboards are basically unheard of, so 95+ % certainty your keyboard simply died on you.

Nothing to do about it really, just buy a new one, since these things are basically unfixable (you can't even open it without wrecking it, since Apple glued it shut during manufacturing.)

Good luck, and all. :)

5. iWonderwhy thread starter macrumors 6502

iWonderwhy

Was seriously considering buying a new one, that is, until a friend of mine recommended vacuuming it.

And I did, after about 2 minutes of vacuuming I plugged it back into the computer, and oddly enough, problem solved.....how about that. :D

It might've been a speck of dust or moisture, not sure, but it all works perfectly again.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

6. Patrickh92 macrumors newbie

Thank you so much! My aluminum iMac keyboard did the same thing, I was worried that I was going to have to go buy a new one when i came across your post. A couple minutes with a mini shopvac and I was back in business.

Thanks a lot!

7. brutedawg macrumors newbie

MY aluminum keyboard stopped working today (worked fine last night), and I've taken every step in OSX to get it back up and running. On a win7 PC, it tells me the USB device is malfunctioning. Does that mean the issue runs deeper than a vacuum?

Vacuum it. That sounds so crazy. I'll have to try that last resort...

8. MaryAnnK macrumors newbie

Thank you!

Thank you for posting this solution! I've been losing my mind over this. I still can't get the Macbook Pro to recognize the aluminum USB keyboard when I plug it into a powered hub (no light on caps lock, not listed in system information), but vacuuming worked to get it recognized when it is plugged into the Mac.

The keyboard used to work plugged into the hub, so I don't know what's up with that. This is a replacement laptop that for one did the same thing. Apple had no idea why it was dead, but since it wouldn't work on any computer and not just the Macbook, they replaced it. All was well for about 2 weeks then the same thing started happening. Maybe these cute scrabble tile keys aren't the end all be all after all if it's that easy for dirt to get inside.