Aluminum Vs. Plastic

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by klapitcus, Oct 30, 2008.

1. klapitcus macrumors newbie

Hey all.

I am debating on what to get for my MacBook, either the refurbished, or a new white plastic, with 4GRam and 250Gig hard drive, or the aluminum with the same specs. but the aluminum is 300 more, outside of the new touchpad features (i would never remember to use them), is the aluminum worth the extra 300?

Thanks

2. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

It's got a much better video card for one thing, which would make it a winner if you want to do any vaguely serious gaming. However, there's the lack of a Firewire port on the aluminium model which makes the white model a better bet if you've invested a lot of money in MiniDV camera equipment.

3. klapitcus thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, to open up a little bit, my main functions are Word processing, internet, and video editing and pictures.

Not much gaming, just video watching and the like...

4. SpEnCeR132 macrumors newbie

plastic

for what ur doing saving the 300 bucks is probably a good bet. i have the aluminum and dont get me wrong, the new one is awesome, i love everything about mine but for what you are using it for plastic is probably a good solution. but if you plan to get into video or photo editing or gaming then invest in the aluminum now, it'll pay off if you need it

5. MacJenn macrumors regular

Not true on the photo and video editing. My previous Blackbook did quite well on both and the only advantage the new one has certainly isn't with performance (check the benchmarks, plus I owned the new alu Macbook, previous gen Macbook and know the differences--plus the screen on the new one shows blacks as a bluish tint--horrible for real photo/video work), it is with graphics and for an amateur that won't a big difference (heck even a Pro--they wouldn't buy the reg Macbook anyway). Plus no Firewire on the new alu macbook which many people have on their cameras and video recorders. The OP can easily do those things with it on a previous gen Macbook.

If you are a gamer don't buy ANY Macbook. Neither reg Macbook is good with games. Yes the new one is better, but it wasn't made to play the highly intensive games and it will be much worse when new games comes out requiring a better graphic chip which of course you can't upgrade on the Macbook.

6. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

My vote for you is to go to BB and pick up the awsome stealing deal on the Air for 1299. Win win on all fronts, and the 300 extra is in the screen which is killer!

Do I have a second?:cool:

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Going by your needs as stated in your post, I'd suggest the refurb MB, it seems an excellent buy; besides, you can always sell it when the next generation MBs make their appearance, if their improved spec blows you away. You'll hugely enjoy whichever computer you buy.
    Cheers and good luck