Aluminum vs SS: Upgrading Next Year

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by BlackMamba14, Sep 18, 2016.

1. BlackMamba14 macrumors regular

For those who know they will be upgrading next year, what watch did you go with and why.

Had SS last year and was a little disappointed with the drop in resale value compared to the Sport. Was considering going with the Sport this year since I will be upgrading next year, but was nervous about the scratches on other peoples Ion-X Glass.

2. gorkt macrumors 6502

gorkt

I went the other way - decided to get the sport after having the SS. The resale is crap on it and I decided I would rather save my money for hardware upgrades over case materials. So far I really love the Aluminum more than I thought. The difference in weight is substantial. The watch looks very nice and the speed of the watch is remarkable - so snappy!

3. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

If you're concerned with resale go aluminum. If you plan to hand the watch down to some one I would do what ever you want.
    People really need to understand that these are wearables that get banged around with technology that ages. The batteries only last so long after being charged on a daily basis.
    If Apple made the guts upgradable then would consider spending more.

4. Tiltasauras macrumors member

I've owned both and like the aluminum much more. The SS body got banged up with small scratches while my aluminum still looks brand new. I also prefer matte to shiny as well.

5. BlackMamba14 thread starter macrumors regular

I've heard the Taptic Engine feels better on the aluminum compared to SS. Makes sense to save money for upgrades.

6. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

I got the Milanese again, AW2, because I like the Loop and the SS shiny look. Plus looking at the sapphire display it's crisper and clearer than Ion-X glass. Supposedly it's because sapphire has a consistent structure whereas glass' structure is inconsistent. Anyway, my way is expensive and not easy to sell AW0. I think I was able to sell it because I responded relatively quickly the bad market. I initially thought I would get 50%. When I would sell my old iPhones I would get plenty of bites. With the AW I only got a handful. From experience I think you need about 5 potentials to make a sale.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You didn't have to do that. All you needed to do is buy the base model SS Series 2 and move your existing Milanese loop to it. You could then sell the old AW with the new rubber/nylon band. You'd recoup more of your costs that way.

8. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

I know, and would have saved a bit on sales tax too . . . but AW2 with White Sport Band was originally scheduled to arrive on the 30th (now scheduled for the end of this week). I ordered both versions and I just took delivery of Milanese AW2, so part of reason of taking on the new Milanese AW2 was that it arrived faster. Also, because I've been experiencing slippage with AW0 Loop about 2 months ago. I figured a new Loop would give me back the tightness. But when I took Milanese AW2 out of the box I noticed how easy it was to pull the tab off the Loop. The magnetic force is definitely less than with AW0. :eek: I wore for a few minutes and it didn't slip. I'll know more if there will be increased slippage throughout the day starting tomorrow. Perhaps Apple reduced the magnetic force on purpose because it did take an extra bit of effort at times to pull the tab off of AW0 Loop. And AW0 Loop had this tendency to fold up at the tab end by magnetizing with itself. A bit annoying to keep pulling that apart to put on the watch in the morning. If Apple's new reduced magnetic force Loop is able to prevent those two issues, while not inducing more slippage, then it's a win-win.

I don't know if I would have gotten more potential sales bites if I had advertised a SS AW0 with a brand new Sport Band. In my case, the reason why I was able to make a sale was because the buyer would rather have a Milanese AW0 for a bit more money than a brand new AW1. So fashion played a role, and having AppleCare+ probably sealed the deal.

9. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

I'm sure others have answered this elsewhere, but it's relevant to this thread, so I thought I'd ask. I was deliberating on the Stainless Steel / Aluminium and I'd like to get an Aluminium one simply because of visual preference.

Does anyone know if any third parties make good quality (seamless colour & texture) lugs for the aluminium version? I have a few redundant leather straps and don't want the shiny stainless steel look.

10. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

In Gruber's podcast he stated that the taptic engine was improved in the new version of the SS. I've just got a new SS to replace my Sport and the taptic engine feels the same to me.

I would prefer the SS now because of the better glass; the Sport had minor scratches after 15 or so months of use.