Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cinger0439

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
i previously owned an aluminum watch and I had no idea how much the watch got banged around just from regular movement. As a result, the glass got quite a few minor scratches.

This time around, I got a stainless steel version. Does the glass hold up to sctratches more than the aluminum version?

Reactions: edhchoe

DaveyVigs

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2016
the SS has glass is sapphire crystal which is more durable than the Aluminum's Ion-X Glass but either one would benefit from a screen protector for bumping cabinets, doors, desks or micro fractures from long sleeve shirts .

Reactions: jpn and 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
i previously owned an aluminum watch and I had no idea how much the watch got banged around just from regular movement. As a result, the glass got quite a few minor scratches.

This time around, I got a stainless steel version. Does the glass hold up to sctratches more than the aluminum version?

The aluminum Apple Watch uses Ion-X glass, which is very similar to the same type of material used for the iPhone displays, where as the stainless steel Apple Watch uses the Sapphire, which is a very durable material that is resistant against scuffs and minor scratches.

Reactions: jpn

barjam

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010

This is completely false. Spreading false information is lame.

I have owned sapphire since launch and completely abuse the thing. Zero scratches.

I tried an aluminum and had scratches on the screen after three days.

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
I’d say that yes, the SS models hold up to scratches better than the aluminum versions.

That said, the SS models aren’t impervious to scratches. My SBSS S3 has a couple minor scratches on the face. No idea when they occurred.

CreepyAF

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2018
Behind you
the SS has sapphire, and theoretically should be more scratch resistant. i had an aluminum s0 from day one, and it only suffered one small scratch, that could only be seen under the most direct sunlight. no dings or dents on the case.

the aluminum offers the better deal, because for all intents and purposes, it does the same job as the SS. the upgrade in materials (ie, SS and sapphire) is not proportionate with the price hike at all. so it really depends on what your priorities are...

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
Put it this way OP. I’ve had the series 0 SS for 3.5 years and not a single scratch is on the screen, even after looking under intense light.

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
Put it this way OP. I’ve had the series 0 SS for 3.5 years and not a single scratch is on the screen, even after looking under intense light.

This is my experience as well which is why I have a ss s4.

Stephen.Trae

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2015
I originally had the aluminum series 0 but being as clumsy as I am. I had the tendency to run into walls and fall a lot. This resulted in my scratching the screen and also taking a bit out of the aluminum. I decided to sell it off and get the stainless steel. I’ve upgraded since then but gave it to my mom and it still looks great with no scratches what so ever on the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.