Aluminum vs Steel -- Will the weight difference be noticeable?

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
I would wear the watch on my left wrist and for some reason my left arm has always been noticeably stronger. A few grams should make no difference.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
Do you think that they'd really make a "sport"/fitness version that's not durable enough?
Five years ago no they wouldn't, Apple had a solid track record of quality.

Today? Not so much.

Bendgate, Antennagate, have taken their toll, both of which I personally experienced. I buy between three and five phones each time new iPhone's are released. One for each person in my family. Thus I have experience with more than one of each model.

When the original iPhone was released, I bought five of them. They were of excellent quality and exactly the same as new products should be. Each year all the way up to iPhone 4, I bought five because we like to have new phones. Out of all the ones I bought up to but not including iPhone 4, were all wonderful, terrific quality and equal performance.

Then Apple dropped the bombshell. All five iPhone 4 models had serious problems trying to hold a signal so they could make calls. It was such an embarrassing situation for Steve Jobs it's the only time he lost his cool while making a public announcement about it. Yet the cult like Apple followers denied it like it didn't exist. It was rather interesting. Suffice to say, it was indeed real. So real that to mitigate the issue Steve began claiming we were holding the phone wrong and treated us like idiots. That completely reframed how I perceived Steve Jobs. He made it very clear we were dummies and he was brilliant.

Anyway fast forward back to now, the only thing I do know is Apple proved it's very risky and expensive to trust them. I'll let someone else be the test monkeys for the aluminium Apple Watch ..ha ..ha ..ha

Time will tell. Yes just a little play on words to lighten up the situation. :)

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Somethings not right. There is no way the white is almost 25% heaver than the back. That makes no sense.
Someone proposed a very plausible theory that lighter colors require denser materials so they wouldn't absorb dirt. Black is less likely to show dirt so it can be soft and lighter whereas white needs to be denser and less porous, and hence heavier.

Devie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Then Apple dropped the bombshell. All five iPhone 4 models had serious problems trying to hold a signal so they could make calls. It was such an embarrassing situation for Steve Jobs it's the only time he lost his cool while making a public announcement about it. Yet the cult like Apple followers denied it like it didn't exist. It was rather interesting. Suffice to say, it was indeed real. So real that to mitigate the issue Steve began claiming we were holding the phone wrong and treated us like idiots. That completely reframed how I perceived Steve Jobs. He made it very clear we were dummies and he was brilliant.
I've been rocking a iphone 4 since its release for work and to this day I have not had any issues with it dropping calls due to the way I'm holding it. I have been able to replicate it with my hands covering it to purposely try to get it to do it, but never has been an issue.

Same with bend gate, have a ip6+, I'm a technician, working on ladders and climbing through roof spaces... Still straight.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
I've been rocking a iphone 4 since its release for work and to this day I have not had any issues with it dropping calls due to the way I'm holding it. I have been able to replicate it with my hands covering it to purposely try to get it to do it, but never has been an issue.

Same with bend gate, have a ip6+, I'm a technician, working on ladders and climbing through roof spaces... Still straight.
Your iPhone's are a perfect example of my point about Apple's declining quality and inconsistencies. You'll notice if you re-read my post it doesn't say _every_ iPhone made during that period.

Some were OK, but the ones that had the problem were a vast number and they were miserable. If you got one, you'd understand.

Also if you were staying abreast of Apple news you'd remember how Apple was caught advertising for Antenna engineers and designers. That was even published in the Wall Street Journal. An article so prominent my Lawyer called to ask if I had one of the bad iPhone 4 models.

All five that I bought for my family were bad, that's a lot of money invested in iPhone's that were worse than any Android. Now that's a poor image and doesn't reflect very well on Apple.

After being a loyal Apple customer spending tens of thousands of dollars since 1991, I expected better. But you can't hide the truth. Apple only cares about their money and that's OK, it's their right to do as they please.

jev425

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Seattle, WA
I think it will depend if your used to wearing watches and if you do what kind your used to wearing. If you don't wear them I think you will get used to the sport pretty easily if it is light in weight and the stainless steel might seem "heavy" to you. If you regularly wear "nice" watches that are all stainless steel the sport might feel "cheap" to you and the stainless steel just right because your used to the nice heavy weight on your wrist. I personally love the weight of a nice stainless watch. The added bonus of the sapphire is nice as well but as much as it won't scratch, sapphire does tend to crack/chip easier than your cheaper stuff out there so dropping it might ruin your day.