"Always Allow" in Parental controls - how to reverse?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Lumpydog, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Lumpydog macrumors 6502

Hello:

I have my daughter's accounts setup with parental controls (she's 9). I use the Parental Controls to limit the apps that she has access to so she does not get into trouble with applications that she should not be using.

I was working in my daughter's accounts the other day and I accessed the "System Preferences" application. Because this was one of the applications that I blocked, I was prompted (something to the effect of): This application is blocked by parental controls do you want to "Always Allow access", "Allow Access One Time", "Cancel"

I selected "Always allow" by accident. Now, when I go into parental controls, the "System Preferences" box is still unchecked, indicating that it should not be accessible by my daughter - but, when I go into my daughter's account, she has free/clear access to system preferences. I've tried checking and unchecking the Systems Preferences in parental controls, but it does not block access.

Any advice on how to undo the "Always Allow" selection that I made?

Lumpy

2. healeydave macrumors regular

no answer to this eh?

I'm trying to do a similar thing, setting up an iMac for guests to use in my villa.

When I first started setting up a users, they couldn't even load system preferences without me authenticating. I must have accidentally clicked allow always because despite system preferences not being allowed in parental controls, the guests account can load it and change stuff like desktop settings etc that I don't want to allow.

I think there seems to be a discrepancy in what parental controls writes to a file compared with what allow once / allow always. Unfortunately, this means once you make a mistake, you can't undo/reverse an allow always decision :-(