always having to authenticate my applications folder?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mrgreeneyes, May 10, 2009.

1. mrgreeneyes macrumors 6502

hi, for some strange reason anytime i drag an app or game into my application folder, i always have to authenticate my account.
    and when im updating some of my apps, i have to authenticate and then it tells me i dont have the right privileges to move the app to the applications folder.

what could of caused it to suddenly ask me to authenticate my account when adding games or apps into the applications folder? thanks

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Are you using a standard or admin account? I always have enter my admin account when modifying the Applications folder.

3. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

You are probably a standard user, not an admin. That's okay though! From a security standpoint it is a good thing to need authentication to install programs and modify various things. However, if you are doing it all day long you may want to give yourself admin privileges in System Preferences-Accounts.

Another thing to keep in mind is System Preferences-Software Updates do not seem to run when logged in as a standard user. (unless it is my system that is not behaving correctly!) You can still check for updates manually from the Apple pulldown in the upper left corner or log in as and admin-enabled user and updates should run as they are specified in System Preferences.