Always-on clock for fullscreen apps?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Crosbie, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

Yeah, I know you can just swipe for the dashboard or move your pointer to the top of the screen. But that is too much effort for my gf.

Is there any way one can get the time permanently displayed, even in fullscreen apps? A floating app? A Growl overlay? An option to always see the menubar, even in full screen?

2. Crosbie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

3. aresinferno macrumors regular

Theoretically it should be possible to develop such an application. I have developed a test application that can sit above all other windows. I have just re-visited that application and it does not work with Spaces or Fullscreen applications. That is not to say that it won't without a bit of adjusting. I can get a window to float above mission control and all other windows in a single space but when switching to another space or fullscreen application, it then vanishes. Even if I could get it to work in other spaces, there is no telling how a fullscreen application may handle it. It may just be a case of adjusting the window level to the highest possible in order to appear in all spaces.

One interesting fact is that it does appear behind everything as you switch between different spaces / fullscreen apps.