Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you want an Always On Display on the next iPhone(OLED display)?

• Total voters

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
I've always had iPhones and Android phones. My experiences with an Always On Display were on the S7 Edge, Note 7, and the LG V20(second screen). I've come to like it a lot, and they have almost no effect on battery life.

Since the next iPhone will have an OLED display, I'd figure it would be smart for Apple to implement an Always On Display as well.

Reactions: ICEBreaker

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Nah I'm good with raise to wake. I prefer it over AOD. I turned AOD off on my Galaxy S7 Edge.

My issue with that is the sensors don't do a great job. My 7+ would constantly keeping waking in my pocket or while I'm holding it with Raise To Wake enabled.

On the LG V20, I can use toggles without turning on the main screen. When I had the Note 7, being able to post notes on the AOD was heaven sent.

I really do hope Apple implements an Always On feature.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
My issue with that is the sensors don't do a great job. My 7+ would constantly keeping waking in my pocket or while I'm holding it with Raise To Wake enabled.

On the LG V20, I can use toggles without turning on the main screen. When I had the Note 7, being able to post notes on the AOD was heaven sent.

I really do hope Apple implements an Always On feature.

Your 7Plus has woken in your pocket with raise to wake enabled? Do you keep your screen facing out and the phone lightning port down? I have never once had my device awoken with it screen facing inside and lightning port up.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Then it will not happen as Apple has been against any type of notification except for the stupid LED on the backside of the phone.
Well, I said it would allow, not that Apple would do it.

Personally I would prefer an Apple devised implementation of this kind of thing with the ability to toggle it off for those who do not care for it. But if Apple doesn't do it, this is the kind of thing that a jailbreak dev will do at some point.

And then who knows?

Apple has a history of copying jailbreak tweaks and introducing them as 'features' in iOS.
[doublepost=1481547618][/doublepost]
As if we aren't distracted enough we are going to keep glancing at the always on screen?
Glancing at my always on screen to get the time every once in a while would be handy. Perhaps I do not have enough distractions. I'm usually pretty good at ignoring my device when focusing on something needing to be done.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009

Personally I would prefer an Apple devised implementation of this kind of thing with the ability to toggle it off for those who do not care for it. But if Apple doesn't do it, this is the kind of thing that a jailbreak dev will do at some point.

And then who knows?

Apple has a history of copying jailbreak tweaks and introducing them as 'features' in iOS.

I agree, Apple will eventually add an AOD feature.

Reactions: eyoungren

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

And then who knows?

Glancing at my always on screen to get the time every once in a while would be handy. Perhaps I do not have enough distractions. I'm usually pretty good at ignoring my device when focusing on something needing to be done.

I'm so conditioned to pay attention to blinking lights and screens that I even glance at our Christmas tree every single time the lights alternate. o_O

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Hopefully. AOD is Incredible.

One of the best features I didn't think I'd ever care about.

When apple makes the jump to oled, I am hoping they include this excellent feature.
[doublepost=1481567839][/doublepost]

And then who knows?

It's an incredibly handy feature...one of those "no way would I ever use it" things and then you get it and use and think "how did I ever live without this" ... And when it's not there you miss how handy it was.

Luckily one can turn it off and from my experience, currently the best and most ideal implementation is on the s7/s7edge with a ton of customization including your own personal note (say you want a positive quote or a reinforcement statement like "do your work" or something) can even have clock faces etc...

It reduces the need or "itch" to turn or touch your phone when you're trying to be productive and it doesn't take much battery life only 10 percent more or so than normal which isn't a big hit on the s7 (still usually end up with 30-40 percent battery life by bedtime)

It's a really awesome feature that I would wager ios fans will love once it's implemented on iPhones

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hopefully. AOD is Incredible.

One of the best features I didn't think I'd ever care about.

When apple makes the jump to oled, I am hoping they include this excellent feature.
[doublepost=1481567839][/doublepost]

It's an incredibly handy feature...one of those "no way would I ever use it" things and then you get it and use and think "how did I ever live without this" ... And when it's not there you miss how handy it was.

Luckily one can turn it off and from my experience, currently the best and most ideal implementation is on the s7/s7edge with a ton of customization including your own personal note (say you want a positive quote or a reinforcement statement like "do your work" or something) can even have clock faces etc...

It reduces the need or "itch" to turn or touch your phone when you're trying to be productive and it doesn't take much battery life only 10 percent more or so than normal which isn't a big hit on the s7 (still usually end up with 30-40 percent battery life by bedtime)

It's a really awesome feature that I would wager ios fans will love once it's implemented on iPhones
I came to iPhone (as my primary phone) in September 2012. The phone I had before that for three and a half years was an HTC Touch Pro. It had a home button that looked like and functioned similarly to the home button on an iPhone.

But the thing about the TP's home button was that it had a LED in it. So, if I got a notification and I was away from my desk it was very easy to tell if I had received a notification if the LED was flashing. Depending on if I was expecting something and how important it might be I could either unlock the phone or ignore it.

With the iPhone you have to turn the screen on if you are outside of visual or audio range and receive a notification. A simple thing for a lot of people on the side of the argument against a LED notification light. But having something that visually tells me a notification occured without having to check my screen is a good idea to me.

However Apple would implement that I'm willing to try. The ability to opt out I see as a middle ground between the two camps.

But I am hopeful that with Apple's track record their implementation of this would be yet another Apple type thing we all discovered we couldn't live without. Apple can take a LED notification light idea far beyond what it is now and an OLED always on screen would allow for that.

Just my take. I'm hopeful.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I like "always on display" to do quick glance while on the table or desk without picking up my phone. Where I like it most is when I have my phone on the wireless dock on my night stand. Easy quick glance at time while in bed. I wouldn't mind ithe feature on a OLED iPhone, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
I've always had iPhones and Android phones. My experiences with an Always On Display were on the S7 Edge, Note 7, and the LG V20(second screen). I've come to like it a lot, and they have almost no effect on battery life.

Since the next iPhone will have an OLED display, I'd figure it would be smart for Apple to implement an Always On Display as well.
You can turn always on on current iPhone. I do that at times.

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
it wouldn't matter to me. the lift to wake is good enough. but i could see where it could be useful.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
It would be a nice feature to have, but who can say for sure if the next iPhone will have OLED technology.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I came to iPhone (as my primary phone) in September 2012. The phone I had before that for three and a half years was an HTC Touch Pro. It had a home button that looked like and functioned similarly to the home button on an iPhone.

But the thing about the TP's home button was that it had a LED in it. So, if I got a notification and I was away from my desk it was very easy to tell if I had received a notification if the LED was flashing. Depending on if I was expecting something and how important it might be I could either unlock the phone or ignore it.

With the iPhone you have to turn the screen on if you are outside of visual or audio range and receive a notification. A simple thing for a lot of people on the side of the argument against a LED notification light. But having something that visually tells me a notification occured without having to check my screen is a good idea to me.

However Apple would implement that I'm willing to try. The ability to opt out I see as a middle ground between the two camps.

But I am hopeful that with Apple's track record their implementation of this would be yet another Apple type thing we all discovered we couldn't live without. Apple can take a LED notification light idea far beyond what it is now and an OLED always on screen would allow for that.

Just my take. I'm hopeful.

Well said. I agree and I think something like a notification light would also be awesome.

I have been with iOS since 2010 up until my galaxy (the iPhone was my first "modern" smartphone unless an old blackberry pearl counts) and I have been surprised with how useful some features like the one you mentioned can be.

It's another thing I find useful with the s7 is the notification led (which can also be turned off) but not just that i receive a notification but more so that I can tell by the colour of the light what kind it is (it changes colours for example blue is a text message, green is WhatsApp, yellow is snapchat) and you can select multiple colours and assign them to specific app notifications which is pretty cool

The implementation in the home button the way you spoke of sounds very cool. Never thought about that before and it's cool to hearha phone actually had it before
[doublepost=1481647392][/doublepost]
Why would anyone want a phone where the display stays on when in your pocket?

Lol it turns off if it's in your pocket or if you face it face down on a desk.

Ambient light sensor - the same thing smartphones use to turn the screen off when you are talking to someone on the phone so your cheek doesn't end the call by accident

If* apple implements it when they switch to OLED, i truly believe ios fans will love it more than hate it. And you can always turn it off if you dislike it.
[doublepost=1481647563][/doublepost]
Well said. I agree and I think something like a notification light would also be awesome.

I have been with iOS since 2010 up until my galaxy (the iPhone was my first "modern" smartphone unless an old blackberry pearl counts) and I have been surprised with how useful some features like the one you mentioned can be.

It's another thing I find useful with the s7 is the notification led (which can also be turned off) but not just that i receive a notification but more so that I can tell by the colour of the light what kind it is (it changes colours for example blue is a text message, green is WhatsApp, yellow is snapchat) and you can select multiple colours and assign them to specific app notifications which is pretty cool

The implementation in the home button the way you spoke of sounds very cool. Never thought about that before and it's cool to hearha phone actually had it before
[doublepost=1481647392][/doublepost]

Lol it turns off if it's in your pocket or if you face it face down on a desk.

Ambient light sensor - the same thing smartphones use to turn the screen off when you are talking to someone on the phone so your cheek doesn't end the call by accident

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

It was something I had thought Apple was going to do with the 5s. But that turned out to be Touch ID.

Here is my old HTC Touch Pro. You can see via the LED that I have received a notification (probably an email). The screen was on at the time but the LED would have gone off either way since the phone was locked.

I'm not expecting Apple to do exactly this, but rather an Apple solution to this kind of topic.

243028_557489394268084_699564371_o.jpg

LatinaC09

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2011
Cleveland, Ohio
This is one thing I miss from my Galaxy S7 Edge. I toggled this feature on at night and it was a perfect little night-time clock. It's a feature you really don't think much about but it is super handy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.