"Always on" sleeve? Speck, School Hymn, Shoreline or something else?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kant, Mar 1, 2008.

1. kant macrumors 6502

I'm thinking I'm going to want a sleeve/jacket/protector of some sort for my 15" mbp (new 2.5 ghz Penryn, 250gb) since I'm planning on using it as a desktop replacement in the home office and the den (i.e. the WoW room). Meaning I'm going to be carrying it around the house during the day. I have a bag for trips, but want something to protect it from bumping doors, corners, etc. (As a result of injuries sustained several years ago in a fire, I wear leg braces and, at the best of times, can be a tad clumsy so "just be careful" isn't an option I care to take with a $2500 machine. Also have some nerve damage in both hands which affects grip strength; should be ok with that, but is another potential area of concern.)

The speck looks cool and good for ding/scratch protection, but no cushioning for shock absorption concerns me a bit. Also, being hard plastic, the grip might be more of an issue here.

http://www.speckproducts.com/products/seethru/15-macbook-pro/25

The Crumpler School Hymn has the padding as well as the the thin pvc layer, but not certain about port access and cooling issues.

http://www.smalldog.com/product/40962

The Shoreline cases look interesting, but again not certain about cooling. Also they're not designed specifically for the MBP so correct sizing might be an issue. Also a forum search turned up only one instance of their mention.

http://www.shorelinecases.com/index.htm

The Booq Vyper might also be a possibility.

http://www.booqbags.com/s.nl/it.A/id.74/.f?sc=13&category=-113

I currently have a laptrap for my 12" pb, but it's too bulky for just 'around the house' use, though I've been VERY pleased with it otherwise.

http://www.sjdesign.com/laptrap.html

Thanks for any and all advice.

2. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

I have the speck case and i only use the lower portion to protect it while on my lap from things like my belt buckle/fly or when i set it down on no so soft things.

I find that the case makes the laptop easier to grip. Its the type of plastic that does not slip from your hand. I feel less comfortable holding the computer without the case in one hand than with it. the aluminum finish is not as easy to get a grip on.

3. kant thread starter macrumors 6502

Good to know. I'm really leaning towards the speck already though I would like to have a little 'soft' layer for shock absorption. Can't have everything though. :)

4. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

I got this It is black leather on the outside and soft suede on the inside next to the MBP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. kant thread starter macrumors 6502

I like that one. Not in stock anywhere but their own store that I can find though. :)

Ran across one mention of something about all these hardshell cases on another forum: the extra weight on the hinges over the long term. Take the speck: it's 15 oz, so figure the top half at 7.5. That doesn't sound like a lot, but in engineering tolerances could it be significant?

6. calvy macrumors 65816

I don't get why Speck cases are so popular. From what I've seen, they scratch the hell out of the laptop.

I like the looks of the leather one. I might search for that.

7. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

I would buy this if I could actually decide whether or not it looks good.

8. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

/\ /\ /\ /\ I think it looks good on mine. Pics are not a true reflection. The outer leather looks good, feels nice and soft too. The inner is suede so protects the MBP from scratches.

9. vpr macrumors newbie

Whilst I don't have a MBP - I'm considering buying one when I get back to the States. I'm currently in China, and oddly enough, all they sell here are the Macbooks (not the pros).

I was looking around and ran across these:

http://www.mac-case.com/Products/MacCase%20Sleeves.html

They look pretty nice, I don't know anything about them though. Personally, I'm thinking about one of these, although I don't think they'd fit your needs:

http://applesac.com/blackhemp.html

That's all I've got.

~vpr

10. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

Hi, I just bought an applesac sleeve, (the Red Delicious). Just to warn ya, it sheds hair like crazy, so keep it away from clothes (or invest in a lint brush).

11. vpr macrumors newbie

Other than the shedding, how is the protection of the sleeve? What are your thoughts on it?

12. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

no problems with mine. What have you seen?

13. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

I'm not terribly impressed with it. I got it mostly because of the looks, and more to keep my PowerBook from getting scratched than for it to be protected from say, a fall.

As far as protection goes, I'd say it offers little to none, other than from scratches. Also, I found that it's a PITA to get the laptop out from the vertical position, which was my original goal. Because of how closely it hugs the laptop, you have to squeeze it out like toothpaste, you can't reach in and grab the laptop easily.

14. vanwas macrumors newbie

I also have the Speck case. Not a scratch on the computer, but the case has taken a couple. I go through security at airports 4 days a week, and if the scratches on the case are any sign of what the computer may have taken, I'd say it was well worth the money..

I'm also interested as to what you have seen as far as the cases scratching the computers. I've taken the case off a few times and placed it back on. No scratches on the aluminum nor the plastic trim. (although I follow the instructions and make sure there that the computer is free of almost everything resembling dust/dirt before putting the case back on)

To the OP: I'd recommend the Speck cases. Not really an issue with heat, and it actually lifts the computer off of the surface on which you are working a bit more than the rubber feet on the computer itself.

15. nephilim7 macrumors regular

another vote for black leather cases.. this is the uniea napa

Attached Files: