Always triple-check after a repair

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by puma1552, Mar 1, 2010.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

I had my logic board replaced in my MBP last week. I live five hours from the Apple store, but thankfully I also have a second apartment only two hours away, where I stay on weekends.

I made the two hour trek which involved a bus, a train, and a subway, and got to the Osaka Apple store where I picked up my machine. I checked it over carefully, making sure to check the isight, the airport, etc. etc. to make sure they didn't forget to plug anything into the new board.

I was happy with it, and went home back to my second apartment and looked it all over again, and was again happy with it.

I decided the next morning (yesterday) to REALLY comb through it one final time and I couldn't believe I missed something so obvious--the keyboard backlighting didn't work. Since I use LabTick to keep it at full brightness all the time, there was no reason for me not to notice that right away at the store, but somehow I missed it. So, I had to spend another 40 bucks and an entire day going back there just to have them plug the keyboard backlight into the logic board, which took five minutes.

So, the moral of the story--always always always check absolutely everything you can think of when you pick a machine up after a repair.

2. fluffyx macrumors 6502

Apple has specific diagnostics to run on computers that undergo major surgery (like yours did). They include checking the keyboard backlight.

I'm sorry to hear those diagnostics weren't run.

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I had the same problem after a repair with my own MacBook Pro, so obviously the diagnostics don't account for human error.

4. Apple.MBPro macrumors member

This coming from Bill Gates is saying a lot.
    In this case the diagnostics did account for human error, reckless driving. :D
    [​IMG]

@OP i really feel for you, i have to go through a similar cycle to get to my closest apple store, so, i really feel you pain. I hope you do note have any more issues with you MBP.

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Reckless driving is fine provided it's wreckless as well. ;)

6. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

That's a good point about the diagnostics--they probably do have something to plug in once the repair is done to test to make sure everything is connected and working; I was thinking they probably just have a list sitting in front of them of everything to manually test (man I'm oldskool for only being 26) after a logic board repair, but that after they replace so many of them they surely probably just end up ignoring it (I'm sure I would too after 100 logic boards) and just happened to miss it, surely an honest mistake.

I was just happy they could fix it in five minutes and didn't have to tear it all apart for a week again.

But yes, nonetheless, always check it over more than thoroughly before you leave the Apple store. I thought I did, but I didn't.

But yeah, Osaka rush hour subway/train===FAIL

7. Apple.MBPro macrumors member

Apparently Gates got into a "wreck" after "wrecking" the stop sign, along with sustaining "wreckage" to his Porsche 911 (ironically the model number for that Porsche was 911). :p

Source: http://www.jonhs.com/mugshots/gates.htm

My answer to the question you are probably thinking, but is too polite to ask: Yes, i have no life (apart from MacRumors, especially, since, next week is college spring break, i am starting one week early). :D