Always view as columns in Finder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kalixa, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Kalixa macrumors member

Hello, I prefer to use the column view for the finder. The thing is that I always have to enable it when open some new folder. Is it possible to always view in columns instead of icons?

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

check that exact option in the finder preferences

3. martinmartin macrumors 6502

Viewing Folders First, then Files

If I have a folder that contains, say, 5 folders and 20 files, is is possible to setup finder so that the folders are listed first (in alphabetical order) and then the files are listed after the folders (in alphabetical order)?

This is how I'm used to seeing things (I'm a recent Mac convert), but if i choose alphabetical order, the folders and files are mixed amongst each other.

Thanks.

4. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

sort by "kind" rather than name. As a plus, the docs will be together in alphabetical order as will the folders.

5. Kalixa thread starter macrumors member

What is this? And where is it? I couldn't seem to find this.

6. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

click on the face in your dock, then hit command (open-apple) - comma. A window will appear (see image) with that option available.

Attached Files:

7. martinmartin macrumors 6502

Thanks for the suggestion.

Do you know if your suggestion is possible using the following 'view'? (see attached picture)

Attached Files:

8. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

I know for sure that if you first sort by kind in list view, you can switch to column view and it will retain the order

9. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

A work around for folders on top ordering is to just name your folders with a blank space at the beginning.

10. martinmartin macrumors 6502

This is not the case for me.

Thanks for the suggestion, I might do it this way if no one knows how to use the column view and arrange by kind then name...

Cheers.

11. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

sorry, you're right. Just checked myself, I was thinking icon view (I never use column view by the way, this is probably why)

12. martinmartin macrumors 6502

No worries.

I'm a fan of column view, I just wish it could arrange the contents first by folders and then by documents.

For now, I'll just go through and add a space to all of my folders names so that they come up first.

Cheers.

13. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

One quick word of caution, only add a space to the folders that exist anywhere outside of your system folder. Obviously renaming your system folder or any folders within it would be bad.

14. polycat33 macrumors 6502

Glad to hear about the sort by "kind" thing, although I was starting to get used to my folders being alphbetized. Too bad it can't be done in column view, I am really used to column view - now I have to decide if I like column view or folders on top better. :confused:

15. 1800collect macrumors newbie

Sorry for the old bump, but this topic comes up in a Google search for "arrange by kind column view finder".

There is a way to do it as seen below.

[​IMG]

All you have to do is be in column view and inside the Finder Window right click (CTRL Click) and go to "Show View Options" you then have an option to "Arrange By" and you can choose "Kind"!

The only problem as you see in my screen shot is that for some reason the folders are being sent to the bottom, but I would rather have them at the top and I can't figure out why. I googled it and found this thread but no luck here.

16. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

by defualt folders will go last. not sure why, and coming from windows, even after a couple years this gets to me a little bit.

17. 1800collect macrumors newbie

To me it's not just a Windows thing. It just make sense to have the folders at the top because you're navigating a folder structure. If you want to navigate the quickest you want to get the quickest access to the next folder which would be at the top since it will consistently be at the same place.

Gawd, Finder has been frustrating me for over 7+ years with this and even with 10.6 there is no significant update because Apple feels Finder is just fine how it is.