Am dumbfounded

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by BearsFan34, Sep 14, 2010.

1. BearsFan34 macrumors regular

BearsFan34

It's likely I'm missing something obvious, so thanks in advance if you help me figure this out...

Quick background: I've JB/unlocked 2 original iPhones in the past, never an issue. I've JB/unlocked my own 3GS, on 4.0.1. I've also JB/unlocked...jeez, let's see now...6-7 different iPhone 3G units for several different people. Always works, first time.

Until today.

Got handed a white iPhone 3G, 16GB. The original SIM was inside, to the best of my knowledge. The user has an iP4 now, so I'd guess the SIM was deactivated when the iP4 was "switched on."

Fine, been through this before. Never had a problem using the Pwnage Tool, redsn0w, Spirit, or jailbreakme.com.

This iPhone 3G is on 3.1.3. I am able to jailbreak using jailbreakme.com, but NONE of the other methods I've used have worked. Even when I do JB 3.1.3, I can NOT upgrade to 4.0, 4.0.1, or 4.0.2 (yes, I know a 4.0.2 jailbreak isn't advised). No matter what I try. Tried 3 different Macs, all latest version of iTunes installed. Nothing.

Sure, I can JB/unlock 3.1.3 & be done. But I'm perplexed as to why no matter what I try iTunes simply won't let me upgrade this iPhone from 3.1.3 to anything else. I always get some message about how "this firmware isn't able to be installed on this phone." I've Googled it, and there are a TON of instructions on how to go backward from 4.0-->3.1.3, but not forward.

Tried DFU mode also. The firmware upgrade goes the farthest this way, but never completes...I get the -1xxx error message or the aforementioned "this firmware doesn't work on this phone" message.

Is the only way to get an upgrade to work is to temporarily borrow a working regular-sized AT&T SIM? I'm stumped.

2. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

3. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Are you trying to update to stock or custom firmwares?

4. BearsFan34 thread starter macrumors regular

BearsFan34

Yes, tried it with wifi on, wifi off. Airplane mode on, Airplane mode off.

I've tried both custom firmwares and have downloaded fresh copies of all the latest firmwares directly from Apple.

No dice either way.

5. SlasherKG macrumors member

If all the computers you are running are iTunes 10, I believe it now checks with apple for a SHSH signature just like for the 3GS and 4. Apple is only signing iOS 4.1 now, sonit will fail for other versions of 4.X. You should be able to downgrade iTunes and be able to restore to 4.0.1.

Other than that, I'm not sure what else it could be.

6. BearsFan34 thread starter macrumors regular

BearsFan34

Thanks so much for this. For some reason I didn't think about iTunes being the possible culprit.

Found iTunes 9.1.1, downloaded the .dmg & am installing now. Am hoping this does the job for at least 4.0.1.

7. BearsFan34 thread starter macrumors regular

BearsFan34

Nope.

Removing iTunes 10, downloading/installing iTunes 9.1.1, and then trying to do a Restore (option key + Apple signed ipsw, 4.0.1) gave me the same message:

This device isn't eligible for the requested build.

Crap.

Guess am stuck at 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 then until the dev team comes out with the 4.1 JB.

Not the end of the world, but sure was hoping the iTunes downgrade would work.