Am I able to install Lion from 2011 macbook Air?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by chibamac, Jul 21, 2011.

1. chibamac macrumors 6502

chibamac

Hey guys,

I did a search and found nothing on this. I'm getting a new 2011 MBA and Have some other macs with Snow Leopard. Is there a way to install the new OS that comes pre installed on the MBA on my other machines?

Thanks in advance,
    Chibatastic

2. chibamac thread starter macrumors 6502

chibamac

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

No. You'll have to buy it from the Mac App Store. It's £20.99

4. stillill macrumors member

Awww boo. So I've got a licensed copy of Lion on my new Air, but I have to buy a licensed copy of Lion if I want to install it anywhere else.

Boooooooo, squeezing them til the pips squeak

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

The copy of OS X that comes with Macs is licensed for that machine only. This has always been the case--the restore media only worked with that particular model.

6. stillill macrumors member

ok thanks

7. Chaucer498 macrumors newbie

The above is the way it used to be, but I do not believe that is the way it is now. Supposedly, Lion comes with an authorization for all your macs.

http://osxdaily.com/2011/06/07/single-purchase-of-lion-installs-on-all-macs/

It was discussed during the Keynote.

I do not know if that means you can take the version off of your Air and install it to others. This may only be for the version downloaded off the apps store. I would look further into it.

8. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

So you're buying a $1000+ laptop, but you can't spare $30 for a family license for an OS? /firstworldproblems

9. chibamac thread starter macrumors 6502

chibamac

Didn't want to waist $30 if the new air came with a universal copy of lion. Money is money..

10. stillill macrumors member

Want to spunk another $30 up a corporation's chuff for something you've already got, go for it fellah. Not for me. ps this isn't twitter, you look like a fanny.

11. chibamac, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

chibamac thread starter macrumors 6502

chibamac

I guess we should find out soon enough. People with additional machines should be getting their 2011 MBA today. I have to wait until next week for my ultimate 13 to ship. If anyone reading this knows for sure, please post here.

Thx!

Chibatastic

12. gentlefury macrumors 68030

There is a distinct possibility that the MBA may come with a USB key version.

13. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Which will be a restore drive for that MacBook Air only. The OP will still have to buy Lion to put it on his other Macs.