Am I able to install Lion from 2011 macbook Air?

chibamac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
Hey guys,

I did a search and found nothing on this. I'm getting a new 2011 MBA and Have some other macs with Snow Leopard. Is there a way to install the new OS that comes pre installed on the MBA on my other machines?

Thanks in advance,
Chibatastic

stillill

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2008
Awww boo. So I've got a licensed copy of Lion on my new Air, but I have to buy a licensed copy of Lion if I want to install it anywhere else.

Boooooooo, squeezing them til the pips squeak

Comment

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Awww boo. So I've got a licensed copy of Lion on my new Air, but I have to buy a licensed copy of Lion if I want to install it anywhere else.

The copy of OS X that comes with Macs is licensed for that machine only. This has always been the case--the restore media only worked with that particular model.

Comment

Chaucer498

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
The above is the way it used to be, but I do not believe that is the way it is now. Supposedly, Lion comes with an authorization for all your macs.

http://osxdaily.com/2011/06/07/single-purchase-of-lion-installs-on-all-macs/

It was discussed during the Keynote.

I do not know if that means you can take the version off of your Air and install it to others. This may only be for the version downloaded off the apps store. I would look further into it.

Comment

omgitscro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008

So you're buying a $1000+ laptop, but you can't spare $30 for a family license for an OS? /firstworldproblems

Comment

chibamac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
So you're buying a $1000+ laptop, but you can't spare $30 for a family license for an OS? /firstworldproblems
Didn't want to waist $30 if the new air came with a universal copy of lion. Money is money..

Comment

stillill

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2008
Want to spunk another $30 up a corporation's chuff for something you've already got, go for it fellah. Not for me. ps this isn't twitter, you look like a fanny.

Comment

chibamac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2009
I guess we should find out soon enough. People with additional machines should be getting their 2011 MBA today. I have to wait until next week for my ultimate 13 to ship. If anyone reading this knows for sure, please post here.

Thx!

Chibatastic

Last edited:
Comment