Am I able to make Google Maps start at a specific address?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by football2006, Nov 27, 2013.

1. football2006 macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for your reply.

If I just turned on my phone or turned on the application after closing it from the background, Google Maps will start off the coast of Africa. In the same scenario Apple Maps will always remember where the map was centered on before the close.

This is all with location services turned off, which I want to maintain.

I would like Google Maps to always start at my home address. I know that I can click the image in the top right and then click on home, but I would prefer not needing to do this.

Thank you again for any ideas or support!

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It will always go to 0.00000/0.00000 without a signal

3. football2006 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is that just an unchangeable setting when compared to Apple Maps? Given that Apple Maps doesn't force a return to a specific location when turned off.

So there is no way to have Google Maps emulate Apple Maps in this regard?

4. TheAppleFairy, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013

TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I got it, put in you destination address. Click on the car on the bottom right. Then the starting location and you can change it.

5. football2006 thread starter macrumors newbie

If I close Google Maps from the background, then go to maps.google.com from my iPhone's Chrome browser, it opens up Google Maps and starts it at the same location (off the coast of Africa).

6. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I edited my post above, you can do it with the app.

7. football2006 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for your response. I sincerely apologize; I am not certain where you mean when you say "Then the starting location and you can change it." I can click on the car (arrow) on the bottom right if I turn location services on (something that I do not want to have on continuously), but then I can't see anything for "starting location."

Thanks for your continue help!

8. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

See images...click what I circled. I am mock travelling to Disney world. As you can see I can change my "starting location"

Attached Files:

9. football2006 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again for your response.

I am specifically referring to the map location when I turn on Google Maps after closing it from the background. I want it to immediately show me my address, and not the coast off of Africa.

10. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I see what you're saying, but if you keep location services off it's not going to know your location. I guess you'll have to just save your location and as a favorite or recent location then. Then just select it, or just search your location or zip code every time you open it...if you want to keep location services off.

11. football2006 thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple Maps allows where you last were, even after closing the app from the background.

It seems so strange that there is no way to mimic that function with Google Maps.

12. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I looked around a little and didn't really see a way. I suppose Apple has an advantage being that it's their OS, maybe they allow something to their own app that they don't offer to developers.