Am I able to remove these annoying problems from 10.9?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Morgan Stack, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Morgan Stack macrumors member

A number of annoying bugs I have encountered when using 10.9. Hope some of these have been addressed.

• Moving files to/and from the Desktop is often a delayed process. I will move a file onto the Desktop, and regardless of size (sometimes just a few bytes) it would take several seconds to actually appear in place. Moving files (including to the Trash) has the same effect. I only experience this with the Desktop - moving files from folder to folder is no problem. Of course, moving files onto the Desktop from the same HDD should be instantaneous.

• Every so often when I want to close a Finder window, I hover over the 'x' button and click, but nothing happens. I continue clicking, shifting the cursor around, and nothing happens. I move the window around a bit, and then the close button responds. I circulate between using shortcut commands and the mouse, so it is frustrating when you are pulled out of the zone for such a stupid bug.

• Is there a terminal command for removing the animation that occurs when you open a file(s)? It seems that the program in question won't usually open until all the animations have completed. Opening hundreds of images in Preview is ridiculous in 10.9 - it sometimes takes one minute, or crashes! I was forced to use an alternative image viewer. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking that the animations have any significant impact on how fast the files open, but if it is the case, I'd like to remove the animations.

Thanks.

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

I have encountered none of those problems on my i5 Mac Mini. What are your specs and did you do a clean install or upgrade over ML?

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I do know that if you have lots of icons on your desktop the performance will slow. I think it is just that the refresh is a low priority operation.

You can use Onyx to turn off the file opening animations as well as other effects. Good program to have around.

But something seems to be wrong here. I went into a folder that has 399 images (RAW images at that), selected them all, right-clicked and selected open with Preview. The preview window opened immediately but there was disk activity for about 5 seconds while all the images were being rendered. (The ones in the sidebar showed immediately). This is on a 4 year old i7 iMac.

4. Morgan Stack thread starter macrumors member

Mac Pro Quad Core (2009), 2.66 GHz, 8 GB, GT 120, change from 10.6.8 to 10.9 (upgrade) a few days after it was first released.

----------

For me, the Desktop is only a temporary spot for files until I sort them somewhere. It is usually bare clean. Unless you mean the dock, which is heavy with icons.

Yeah, I never had a problem when I was using 10.6.8. Using Preview on 10.9 has been a downgrade in my experience. Onyx is great, thanks.

5. Gochugogi macrumors regular

Gochugogi

I also have a vintage 2009 Mac Pro quad 2.66GHz (512GB SSD/24GB RAM). It basically burns rubber around the desktop, opening apps, startup and shutdown. I when from OS 10.85 to 10.9 and, if anything, it seems a little faster at many things. Oddly, it's a notch faster working the desktop than my 2013 i7 Mini and much faster at startup. Probably the SSD vs Fusion drive but still I'm very happy with 10.9 performance except for one thing: FW drives won't sleep even if I eject from the desktop.

6. LCD macrumors member

I've also had a delay whenever I move a file to the Desktop in 10.9. Sometimes the icon won't appear at all until I move to the desktop. I had Mountain Lion and didn't do a clean install. 2012 Mini with 2.6 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've not noticed any sort of delay with moving files to the desktop. I have noticed sometimes the file dialog box in apps delay, but I attribute that to my DAS. I do not see that occurring on my Mac Mini which does not have a DAS connected to it, but runs Mavericks.

I'm not trying to derail the topic, but rather point out, that I don't see any delay in that specific task but I do see a file operation delay

8. jk111 macrumors regular

I can confirm the delay of files appearing on the desktop. Happens when saving files too, I'll save a doc on the desktop temporarily and it sometimes takes 20 seconds or even more to appear.

9. HenryDJP macrumors 603

No problems here with moving files and no delays in actions. :)

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have encountered an annoying glitch in Mavericks that might be related to the ones the OP reported: Sometimes, when moving a bunch of files/folders by dragging and dropping, the files/folders get "stuck" after the copy completes and stay there even after closing the Finder window! Restarting Finder cures it.