Am I about to do something illegal?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TSE, Feb 11, 2008.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

I want to install an OEM-version of Windows XP over boot camp, is this illegal? I heard rumors of it being against the license agreement.

2. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I think OEM versions will only work on the hardware it shipped with. Someone could clarify that.

3. pdechavez macrumors regular

no it shud work but i think it's illegal to do so. But then again, if you use the key, and it works, it shud be fine. HOWEVER, u only have a limited amount of times to use the key! Once its out, the OEM will only work with the original hardware since it key is programmed into the hardware. ;)

4. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

If you're talking about using the OEM copy that came with a laptop you purchased, then yes. That is, say you bought an HP....you can not use the OEM disc that came with it to install XP.

Now if you bought a legit OEM copy from newegg or some place like that...technically you're still violating the license agreement. But does Microsoft really care/do anything about it? No.

So, are you doing something "illegal"? Yes. Is it about as illegal as jay-walking? Also yes.

5. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

it's not illegal

a big NO, the moment you bought the pc and everything that came with it including the software is yours.. for your personal consumption so you can do as you please.;)

6. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

its not from a PC... it is just an OEM version.

7. mosx macrumors 65816

If you bought the OEM version then it is perfect legal for you to install it on your MacBook.

What is not "legal" for you to do is take it and install it on another system. I mean, say you wipe it off your Mac. "Legally" you can't take that and install it on another system because the OEM license is tied to the first motherboard that it is installed on.

However, we all know that "Software Licenses" have been laughed out of court every time they have been challenged, so take whatever it says with a grain of salt. You paid for it, you own it.

8. DaveF macrumors 6502a

It will work. It's not illegal.

If it was from a previous computer, it would be a violation of the EULA. I'll leave it to lawyers to determine if that's illegal, and to your conscience of whether it's immoral.

But a fresh copy of WinXP OEM bought for this purpose is kosher and a sensible way to save money.

If you plan to use both BootCamp and Parallels / VMWare, you'll have to jump through the Activation hoops. OEM copies have activation anxiety and require your to phone home to MS for the second install. But it's not a big deal.

9. Twilight Elk macrumors regular

Twilight Elk

Someone clarify to me what OEM means and why would it be illegal to install using Boot Camp.

Also, how is buying a copy of Windows off of NewEgg violating terms?

10. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I used the disc from an old Dell...aswell as the key on the side of the computer.

What now Dell??

11. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

Oem copies of windows are for "system builders", and are sold at a discounted price on sites like newegg and others and are intended to be like the copies of windows you get with a new Dell, where it becomes tied to the first machine you install it on. They don't enforce this, and I personally think it would be fine as long as it is not still installed on the other machine in question.