Am I at the replacement stage for my rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AutoUnion39, Jan 31, 2015.

1. AutoUnion39, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited: May 26, 2017

AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Hello everyone!

I've always been under the impression that Macbook are pretty much bulletproof, but I guess, even loyal Apple users, can get a lemon once in a while.

2. shahin90 macrumors regular

Sorry to hear about your trouble. I talked to an apple representative about a similar issue last month and he said the magic number to replace a unit completely is 4 given that the problem happens to the same component. Not sure if every Apple Stores follow this rule, but try their online chat support and they are more helpful I would say.

3. iKnowMr.Jobs macrumors regular

iKnowMr.Jobs

If you live semi-close to an Apple Store (I assume you do since you mentioned you brought it to the Genius Bar 2 years ago), is suggest taking back this time as opposed to calling an online store representative. I've heard many situations like yours where people have brought in their notebooks for the same issue 3 times and were just given an outward swap for their troubles. If the "magic number" is 4, I'm sure the Manager has the authority to override it.

Just be smart and nice about how you present your issue to the Genius. I wouldn't outright ask for a replacement, I'd Just tell them that you've experienced many issues with it (they'll be able to see all of the work done on your machine once they enter the serial number) and if your Genius is remotely competent, I'm sure they'll at least attempt to persuade the Manager to allowing them to give you a replacement. Ultimately, it's up to the Manager.

Good Luck! Hope all goes well

4. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

I think you just had bad luck, keep on taking it to apple until they get tired and get you a new mac. Some macs are built in a hurry in factories and problems can go wrong such as dead pixels, loose buttons. I my rMBP with no trouble, but now my "m" key gets stuck sometimes, but now it works just fine.

5. AutoUnion39, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: May 26, 2017

AutoUnion39 thread starter macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Just wanted to give you guys an update. Got the run-around from the Apple Stores for the last month. Same crap over and over again. They take it in for "testing," it comes back. Problem persists. Repeated like twice.

6. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

That's one of the best AppleCare stories I've read. Congrats.

7. AutoUnion39 thread starter macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Most certainly! I've had MacBooks ever since the Intel ones came out. This was the first one that had constant issues. Also my first time calling into AppleCare was with this rMBP.

8. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

It's a lemon for sure. What you need to do is hit up some people who can handle the case. If they ain't willing to work with you, I'd consider threatening a lawsuit or something.

You paid full money, and got a lemon laptop. They need to replace the whole thing, and they should compensate you for time lost.

9. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

You didn't read his update post.... Apple gave him a replacement...

10. AutoUnion39 thread starter macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Doesn't work like that. Any threats of a lawsuit when you're on an AppleCare phone call gets you transferred to their legal team almost immediately.