Am I being dramatic? (iPad glass)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MBP13, Aug 17, 2012.

1. MBP13 macrumors 6502

MBP13

I'll start off by saying that this year my private school has switched to iPads and every student now has one that is either through the lease program with Apple and the school or their own personal iPad purchased with their money.

Anyway...

My school-leased new (3rd gen) iPad recently popped out of its hardshell case after falling out of my hands, fell to the ground, and cracked. I turned it into the school and had to pay a $100 deductible. The total cost of the repair is $159, so the school will naturally cover the $59 leaving me with the rest. Anyway, all I was told was that a nearby business would repair the iPad screen for a much cheaper price than sending it off to be repaired.

After using it at school for a week in class, I begin to sense something. As I'm typing, I begin to hear a cheap, clunky sound when I type on the screen. I'm not one of those typists who barely touches the screen, I type on the iPad as if it were a real keyboard! Anyway, I compare the sounds of my tapping on my iPad to another girl's school iPad. The sounds are completely different. I knew something was wrong.

Today I came to the conclusion that my glass screen was replaced with a plastic screen that has a lifetime warranty.

I'm very upset because I sent in an iPad with a glass screen and got a repaired iPad with a plastic screen. The plastic screen just isn't comfortable to me compared to the original glass it came with. I'm not satisfied nor happy that I paid $100 to get a plastic screen put on my $400 iPad that I intend on buying when my lease is up at the end of the year.

I brought it to the school President and he said that would have to look into the problem. I don't think that he was aware that the company would replace the glass with cheap plastic, but he seems like he favors the idea of the plastic screen unlike myself. He thanked me for bringing this to his attention, but I could tell that he didn't really understand how upset I was about this.

The principal was still at school when I went back, and I had a talk with her after someone suggested I meet with her. She tried to notice the differences when I would point them out to her, but she didn't see them. She typed lightly on it probably because she has nails unlike me since I'm a guy. She asked me if I was unhappy with it because I know it's not what it's supposed to be: I said yes! I wanted to make sure that I wasn't being snobby about this, and she said she understands where I'm coming from.

Another thing, if the iPad is like a newly purchased Mac, it has a warranty that lasts for 1 year unless you buy AppleCare. Is that correct? How is its 1 year warranty still valid if there is some cheap plastic screen on Apple's product when it still has months left of warranty? I would think the plastic screen has now voided my iPad's warranty. The school iPads were purchased in May 2012, by the way.

Please understand that I was never told nor is it mentioned anywhere (in writing or in oral communication) that broken iPad screens would be replaced with plastic screens.

What do you think of this? Do you think I'm being over dramatic that my iPad was returned to me with a plastic screen instead of a glass screen?

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I doubt anyone makes a plastic retina display.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Does this mean the school owns the iPad and you pay to use it? If so, then they can do whatever they want with their property.

4. MBP13 thread starter macrumors 6502

MBP13

No, I'm paying to lease the iPad right now. The fee is included in the tuition. They were not purchased by the school. As in the school is requiring us to either pay for the iPad or use one you have purchased yourself.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I think if you dropped it and broke it the warranty is already voided

6. hi-there macrumors member

Maybe take it in to Apple for assessment and if your repairer used non-genuine parts, get that in writing also stating that iPad warranty has been void. Take that to school.

7. MBP13 thread starter macrumors 6502

MBP13

8. Nutdotnet macrumors member

If you're leasing it then you do not own it. Look up the word "lease". Either the school or someone else does.

That being said, have you asked to just have it replaced? You give them the iPad and they give you another one.

9. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

Looks like the school is either ripping you off, or they say somewhere that the replacement glass is actually plastic. In general, it's best to avoid dealing with a private school for services that you can get elsewhere.

I wish my school had iPads for the books. Every school should have already switched to digital books in the late 90s.

10. MBP13 thread starter macrumors 6502

MBP13

Apple owns the iPad. At the end of the year, I intend to purchase the iPad.

I told both the Principal and the President of the School that I'm not really satisfied with the iPad now that it has a plastic screen, but they can't seem to comprehend that a plastic screen totally devalues the device and voids my warranty which runs out in May 2013.

The President said he was going to have to take a trip to place that did the repairs and see what is going on. I don't think he is aware that the iPads were coming back with crap screens on them, but he's definitely going to look into them; however, he still likes the idea of the lifetime warranty on them. I couldn't care less about the lifetime warranty, just give me the iPad the way it is supposed to be.

1) I was the first person to bring it to the attention of the school that the repaired iPads were coming back with plastic screens as I was one of the first students to break an iPad.

2) The public schools in my area are a joke. I'd rather not spend my time over there. I've done many more things and have had opportunities to do things the public school kids in my area wish they can do but aren't able to.

11. dcains macrumors regular

12. docprego macrumors 65816

Not only that, but aren't all capacitive touch displays made of glass?

13. jg2693 macrumors newbie

It could just be a cheaper knockoff version of the OEM part.

14. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

That's what I was thinking. Maybe it's a glass screen with a really thick plastic screen protector on top? I could see the repair shop thinking they were doing you a favor by applying one of those.

15. gpatrick15 macrumors regular

Why not go back to the store and get to the bottom of it yourself? Just politely ask the repairman what happened and what type of screen did they replaced it with.

16. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You don't own the iPad you rent it. The school fixed it. Be it authentic parts or oem isn't your concern.

17. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I don't think the principle is gonna spend much time trying to figure if the iPad you are using has a plastic screen or not. She's got better things to do -- like running the school. If the iPad works then use it or ask your parents for an iPad for Christmas or your birthday--but make sure they get the extra AppleCare + coverage so that when you drop it Apple will swap it out for $50.

18. MBP13 thread starter macrumors 6502

MBP13

That's what I'm thinking.

It absolutely is my concern. I use it for school everyday and I am planning on purchasing it at the end of the year. I'm paying to use it, so I don't see how I shouldn't be concerned. If they wouldn't charge us to use them I wouldn't be concerned.

Actually the President is spending time on the issue because he's all for the iPad program at school, plus he's the one that found the repair shop, and lives nearby it. I don't need to ask for an iPad for Christmas when I'm currently in a lease-to-own buyout program.

19. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I don't think so; your school owns the iPad not Apple. If apple actually owned it you wouldn't need to take it to random guy store to get it fixed.

Anyways, leasing an iPad is not really smart if you got some student loan money since I don't think your school leases for actual MRSP, just buy it full price w/ student discount and get the apple care+ that extends your coverage to two years from the original purchase date of your iPad and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a $49 service fee.