Am I being electrocuted by my late 2016 rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tbk, Mar 14, 2017.

1. tbk macrumors newbie

I have a late 2016 13" rMBP. When it's charging, if I rub my finger along the body of the computer, I feel what seems to be a strange vibrating sensation that runs up my finger. Obviously nothing in the computer is actually vibrating, and I stop rubbing the computer the sensation stop. This does not occur if the computer is not plugged in. Am I experiencing some sort of low-grade electric shock? Has anyone else experienced this? I'm not seeing any other issue with my computer.

2. SB-MBP Suspended

SB-MBP

I got this sensation from my Mac when it was new! And all of the ones in the Apple store by rubbing my finger on the palm rest / aluminium parts..

I don't think it's an electric shock or static, just the sensation of touching new/clean/smooth aluminium finished in this way.

Enjoy it while you can, as I said, doing it right now on my Mac at 3 years old and the sensation is gone :p

#MacBookPerks

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Issue normally occurs when you have the smaller mains plug into the charger block, rather than the longer mains power lead which can go into the charger block.

The reason for this is because the smaller plug isn't earthed, so the aluminium of your Mac becomes a throbbing bed of electricity, ready to give you a gentle zap.

It's happened on all Unibody Macs that I can remember. Of course the 2016s don't come with the longer mains lead as standard, so if you fit one of those (providing you still have an older Mac charger with the longer lead), it should solve the problem.

4. thesaint024 macrumors 65816

thesaint024

I too get a sensation when rubbing.

5. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

glad I bought an extension cable recently, but not for this reason-- because I want to be further from an outlet and still using it and charging it, like on the couch.

same reason I have a longer lightning cable to charge my iPhones from the couch

6. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

^
    This is truth.

It can happen with any aluminum Mac. I've had it with the old Mac Pro, various PowerBook's/MacBook's etc. If I stand barefoot on my concrete basement and touch my 2012 iMac server, I can feel the current. It's kinda neat, and strange.

7. xxray macrumors 6502

Happens on my late 2011 MBP. Don't know what causes it, but definitely feels like electricity

8. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

It's your MBP purring when you pet it :)

9. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

That's because it is electricity :)

10. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Feeling current shouldn't only happen when you move your finger. I doubt that's what's being felt if it isn't felt when your finger is still.