Am I being hacked?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jtomasi, Jan 11, 2012.

1. jtomasi macrumors newbie

So when I google search “what is my IP” the websites give me a different number then if I look at my IP address through the Network Preferences. I am running a macbook pro with osx 10.6.8

2. simsaladimbamba

Because you ISP (Internet Service Provider) provides you with an IP address for travelling the www, while your computer also has an internal IP address for travelling the local network you have, which may only consist of modem, router (which sets the rules for internal IP addresses, normally 192.168.0/1.1 or 10.0.0/1.1) and Mac.
    In other words, everything is fine and you haven't been hacked. Maybe have a look here, to learn more about IP addresses.

3. jtomasi thread starter macrumors newbie

No I understand that, but shouldn't my airports IP match?

"AirPort is connected to netgear and has the IP address 192.168.X.X"

That doesn't match what is online.

4. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

5. simsaladimbamba

No, they shouldn't and can't match. My AirPort currently has the address 10.0.1.2, but it could also be 192.168.0.2, but if that would be the same address I get when using the WWW, there would be millions, maybe billions, of conflicts, as 192.168.x.y and 10.0.x.y are reserved for internal IPs, and your ISP gives you an external IP, which is probably dynamic anyway.