Am I being nitpicky? (New 16" display uniformity)

new16helppls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2020
So I've been going back and forth about swapping my 16" for another one over display uniformity. The bottom right of my screen seems to have a pretty large area that is off from the rest. Below are pics. Normal lighting, and in the dark at 20% brightness. The other corners have this too, and I know it's just kind of how LCD screens can be, but the other 3 corners are small enough that my eyes don't pick up on it. The bottom right is pretty large and annoys me every time I load up a mostly white page.

But, I can be a nitpicky MF'er sometimes, especially when spending $4k... So I went by the Apple store to see if display models were any better. I was kind of surprised to see that all the display models had a bottom right corner that was larger than the other corners, making it stand out instead of blending in.

I don't see this being discussed. Is no one else bothered by the bottom right of their screen? Am I just being nitpicky? Go through the hassle of a mail in exchange or no?

Thanks

IMG_1453.JPG
oVzWVHO.jpg

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Yeah, that seems worse than it should be. Probably worth trying to see if a different machine has that. May just be the nature of the beast.

new16helppls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2020
Yeah, that seems worse than it should be. Probably worth trying to see if a different machine has that. May just be the nature of the beast.
Nature of the beast seems to be a likely possibility. Display units at the Apple store had the lower right shading issue, and someone in another thread went through 3 units with the same issue before deciding to just live with it. If I'm not looking for it I can see how the eyes adjust and it's not too noticeable anymore. Still kind of crazy to me on a $4k machine, but I guess that's just LCDs for you.

Might be better off letting my eyes get used to this display instead of returning and getting a worse display, or some of the other issues I've been seeing people ending up with their 16". If the mini LED really comes later this year and solves these uniformity issues I'll probably just flip this and do one more upgrade before settling down for a few years.

Sanpete

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
You seem to have answered your question in the first post and confirmed it in your second. Whether it's nitpicking or not, there doesn't seem to be much point to replacing it.

new16helppls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2020
You seem to have answered your question in the first post and confirmed it in your second. Whether it's nitpicking or not, there doesn't seem to be much point to replacing it.
Not exactly. I still only have data points on like 6 units. When it comes to a $4k purchase it would be nice to hear from more owners and get a little more confidence in how widespread the "issue" is. But I hear what you're saying and know what I'm leaning towards right now.

Reactions: Sanpete
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.