Am I being realistic?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JamerTheProgram, Mar 21, 2012.

1. JamerTheProgram macrumors member

Hey!
    Im after a new Macbook (Mine is basically broken).
    So last November, I started saving. By April-July I should have about 800 after I have sold a few of my things.
    I am a iPhone developer. Im trying to start my own business. So I am developing games, apps and social networks right now.
    So I need something with a decent GPU. A 320M would do me fine. But Im worried about the Macbooks with 320M in it, as they have C2Ds in them. I want (if I can) to jump onto the i5 boat if I can.
    I would get the Macbook Pro 13 with the i5, but I rather dislike the GPU in it (But I will get this anyway if I cannot afford the one I am after).
    So I have been looking on eBay and have seen a few Macbook Pro 15 inch 2010s with i5s and good GPUS in them going for about 780 - 800.
    Do you think I could get a Macbook Pro 15'' 2010 for about that much?
    Or do you think those where just one offs?
    It will be in full time use. It will be on pretty much all day till 1:30 am.
    My iMac does all the things I want it to, but I need to have a Macbook so I can take my work with me (Right now, I am litrarely taking my iMac on holiday to do OSX work :D Bit silly, but hey).

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

well since this will be used professionally to operate your business you should get a computer that will handle the work load you through at it, all businesses require some capital investing,

3. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Where are you in the UK ?

I have been thinking about selling my Macbook Pro 15" 2009 (although its C2D which you are trying to avoid) it has the 9400 and the 9600 for graphics. Still has warranty until June 21st

4. JamerTheProgram thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I agree.
    But I am on a budget.
    I need to buy Photoshop and everything.
    So 800 is as high as I can go right now.

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

well based on requirements you need you can use a site like Mac2Sell to see what they are worth, that can atleast let you see an idea of what you would expect to buy one for

im no developer so I would not know what specs are needed to do your job but $800 in my opinions sounds like it will get you a MBP from 2009, if you wait for the 2012 to be released that should lower the value of 2010's

6. JamerTheProgram thread starter macrumors member

Thank you!
    750 is the price it says.
    Brilliant,thanks allot!

7. Sirolway macrumors 6502

I want to see pictures of you on holiday with your iMac ...
    Here I am climbing Snowdonia, with my iMac
    Here I am on a canal boat in the Norfolk Broads, with my iMac

That sort of thing ...
    Kinda like the travelling garden gnome

8. borisiii macrumors 6502

The intel HD 3000 graphics in the current lower-end macs is genuinely fine for iOS development. Besides, it is roughly level in performance with the 320M anyway.

If you happen to know a university student who is prepared to accompany you to an apple store with their student card, the 14% discount on Mac Hardware would mean a new 13" i5 would cost you £860.

9. tallchris macrumors member

If you are using it for business, do you or the company you work for have a VAT code? I think we've done it a few times at work.

If do you could buy it and claim the VAT back (20%)? Maybe look at the refurb store too?

10. iFanboy Guest

Fair play. Most people don't do that.