Am I being scammed? ebay payment outside of ebay

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wjlafrance, Jul 10, 2010.

1. wjlafrance macrumors 6502

"I just want to inform you that i had tried to make the payment through eBay system,but it's giving me a lot of problem, Like service temporarily not available,so i want you to get back to me with your paypal email addy so as to make the payment directly from my paypal account..Okay?Also i want you to get back to me with your personal email address so as to send you an email when the payment had been made and also to send you the shipping address there.

Hope to hear from you soon so as make the payment today...

Best Regards...

[snip]"

Although I think this could be legitimate, the person has zero feedback. Is this a known scam?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Never do any deals outside eBay, they are 99% scams, especially when dealing with people with no feedback.

3. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

They will pay you and designate it as a personal payment, and 6 weeks later do a charge back dont do it.

ebay+paypal =evil incarante

4. wjlafrance thread starter macrumors 6502

"I've been advised not to accept payment outside of ebay. Unfortunately since you have no feedback, I'm going to have to ask you to pay through the official channels, because I can't risk being scammed."

Should I make note of her address, for when she says "I'm sorry, it's still not working, guess I can't buy." ?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Tell her to contact the customer service of eBay. Let her know that you won't do any deals outside eBay due insecurity.

6. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

To be honest I just wouldnt even go through with it, this person has already indicated they want to try and scam you. Even using the "official" payment channels you can still get scammed, as it will still go through paypal, and all the buyer needs to do is say it arrived broken, didnt arrive at all, etc.. Paypal typically sides with the buyer in most situations.

Its a little more effort, but Id try and sell it locally on craigslist, or through some forum or something.

At one point I used ebay quite often, but it seems like in the past 2-3 years or so its changed for the worse. More scammers, no choice but to use paypal (which they own btw), crazy fees, etc.

7. ethical macrumors 68000

run away from this fool as fast as possible. you did the right thing by not going through with it

8. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Don't give 0% feedbackers the benefit of the doubt.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

What he'll do is send you a fake email that looks like its from PayPal that says "So and so has sent you $X dollars" hoping that you won't login to PayPal to actually check that the money is there, but you'll see the email, think it's from PayPal, and send the item.

And considering that millions of transactions take place on eBay a day, I highly doubt their official payment system isn't working, and if it does go down, it's not down for long.

10. wjlafrance thread starter macrumors 6502

"We recently canceled bids for the buyer:

colly25fionny

Our records indicate that this buyer recently attempted to complete a transaction with you. Since the buyer is not currently registered on the eBay site, you can consider the transaction canceled if you haven't already shipped the item."

Yep.