Am I Being Stupid About This?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by LeighAnna Jones, Jan 6, 2011.

1. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

I recently got my first ever apple device. (iPod Touch 4g)

And I really like the apps, safari browser, ect.

To be short, I really like apple's line of devices.

Now, about this...

I would very much like my own laptop because my first ever computer (dad got it for me at age 2) is getting very slow and old and I have gotten to the point where I am using my mom's new 1 year old laptop and my dad's sorta slow old desktop.

I do not have my own laptop, only an old desktop that has the power strip missing because it was used to connect the XBox and the TV, since I haven't used my computer in about 2 years.

I was liking the idea of the laptop, but those things are expensive and my family cannot afford about three thousand bucks or so on a new laptop. We already went over board for Christmas, 300 dollar iPod and a 189 dollar kindle for my dad.

I had heard of the iPad before, but thought it was mainly stupid because I thought of it as the "over grown iTouch."

After spending a few weeks researching all of apple's devices, I had a light bulb. iPad! You see, it has almost everything I need. Apps. <-- Really need those! I mostly use the internet and that's it on the computer; so a bigger than my iPod's display so I can see safari better and go to pages and see a perfect display, not BIG, not little. I can read BOOKS on it! YES! My bookshelf is overflowing! Pretty much a mini Apple kindle. LOL. And there are rumors that the iPad 2 might have a front facing camera and a back camera. Maybe even a usb slot. SIMPLE. PERFECT. A camera! YES! Skype! WHOO HOO!

What I am saying is that I do not think I would use all of the features a laptop has to offer. I think I would use mostly everything on an iPad. So, I had a scheme. (Well, not really.) Instead of begging for something we could not afford, I could safe us a boatload of money by getting an iPad instead or a laptop. It's simple and I would use every feature on it.

I told this to my friend, and she said, iPads are crap! Just spend more money and get a good laptop!

But I don't think I would use everything on a laptop and I like touch interface better than buttons. I'm only 13 and I think the iPad would be perfect for my needs and if I ever needed a computer, hey! Look! We have three we can hook up at any time!

So do you think I'm being stupid or smart?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well most laptops don't cost 3,000 for one thing

You can get a brand new macbook for 800 via microcenter

Personally, I find laptops infinitely more useful than an iPad and find that an ipad makes for a great secondary device and not a primary

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

4. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Agreed. I love my iPad but I definitely wouldn't want it as my primary computer. I think that you almost must have a computer to use it with as well.

5. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

I haven't touched my computer since Christmas when I got my iPad.

6. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Get a PC laptop for $500+. You're going to be using laptops to type up essays, research, play games, etc etc

7. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

I agree on getting a lopt, but sorry, not a PC. The extra investment into an Apple laptop is definitely worth it (if you can manage it financially)..

Keep the original box, keep your laptop tidy and all accessories complete, and you will be able to sell it for a good price when you figure you need a new laptop at some point. You can finance your new laptop with the money you got from the sale of your previous one.

This doesn't work with " regular" laptops as they devalue much more rapidly than Apple hardware.

I do this all the time, and after the intitial investment into my first Apple MBP, I have bought new Apple laptops subsequently for equal or less amounts than a PC laptop.

8. Windows macrumors member

Windows

I'm all for it!

Wait for the second gen iPad, buy one of those cases that have the built in bluetooth keyboard (I really like the ZaggMate) and turn your iPad into a full on computer with the use of some apps.
    Portable, Efficient and Usefull and it'll fit your needs well (it's not like your going to do intensive work on an iPad)

I'd go for the 64gb model so let's see...

iPad 64gb 700$
    Case 50-70$
    Apps 50$ if you know which apps are cheap and efficient, or you can use free apps that save you money like Dropbox, Evernote, etc.

It comes out at 800 dollars or so, depending on which model of the iPad you choose, with this type of money you could buy yourself a good small PC netbook so if I where you I'd think this through before you decide to buy.

Since I have the money and I really like the interface on the iTouch I'd go for the iPad :apple:

9. forcetactic, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011

forcetactic macrumors 6502

You can get more for same price or same for cheaper for PCs. I don't know any situation where Macs can have same specs and cheaper lol. Not to mention many programs are not mac-compatible. Although I have to say macs look much nicer than PCs....
    Macs cost more so they have higher resale value (also because people label apple as "higher brand"

10. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

The problem as always is, we don't know, and you don't yet know it seems fully the programs you are going to want to run in the near future.

I run a few programs on my "computer" virtually every single day, which are my main programs I enjoy, and there is no way an iPad will run them.

So for my real needs an iPad is worthless, as it does not run my main programs I use.

Someone else could never need a computer as the iPad does run all the software they want.

It's a bit tricky to know, unless you really 100% know exactly what you are going to want, to know if the iPad will answer all your needs.

11. MacGurl111, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2011

MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

iPads are considered to be an extra toy along with my laptop. You'd need a real computer. With the iPad you can only do so much. Yes, you can browse, but not all websites are compatible. Some sites I've tried to visit won't work on my iPad but will on my laptop. I'm sure it has to do with flash.

It just doesn't make sense to have an iPad as a primary. Since you're only 13 as you get older, you will will find more use for a laptop. Get a laptop then if you can get the new ipad later.

The iPad will only do so much. I can't imagine someone without a computer but only an iPad. With 800, you can get a refurb Mac Air. Why not? You want apps, there's a mac app store.

12. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Understandable, very understandable. I also had such sentiments towards such an idea after I got so frustrated looking at the ridiculously 'ugly' interface in terms of UI and design-wise compared to the apps available for the iPad, but sometimes, you would really like to have the ability to multi-task efficiently on a computer, as well as hooking up a second monitor to increase your productivity.

Having said that, I will be purchasing the iPad 2 when it comes out. I have no doubt that it would displace my current iPod Touch 3G, but for my MacBook Pro, there is no way it will exceed it in terms of productivity.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

iPads fit a need that over laps traditional computers, and that's fine for some people. The "I haven't touched my laptop in x months" is testament.

It all depends on what you need a computer/iPad for. I need a more powerful desktop for my day to day stuff, a laptop for my mobile needs and the times, I choose to surf/email and do light document work in my living room or somewhere else that's not in my office.

The iPad will fulfill those latter needs for me to a great extent but I still need a laptop for other things that that a MBP does better then the iPad.

I personally get what I need, and I typically mull things over determining my needs and budget. I'm in the process of seeing if the iPad fits my needs and is worth the expense.

14. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

I Have the iPad alone as my sole machine, I have had 0 problems since April 3,oh and bought a 11.6 MBA and returned it I prefer my iPad.

15. LeighAnna Jones, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2011

LeighAnna Jones thread starter macrumors 6502

As a follow up...

I took one person's advice and decided to take a "quick look" at the MacBook Air.

I have looked at it for a few minutes and I must say I am impressed. So thin and so small, so perfect...

So I think I may have come up with a plan, I want to see what it is thought of first, though...

I was thinking about getting the smallest MacAir and then using it for a couple of years until the iPad 4 or something hits. What do you think? I've gotta run though, I have to go to my swim team practice.

Please tell me what you think of my plan since alot of people seemed to disagree of me having an iPad as a core device.

16. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

17. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

:DMy best advice I ever give to everyone including myself. Get what you want and fits your lifestyle best, and you'll be more than happy!:D

18. bri1232001 macrumors newbie

Sounds like a good plan except you're going to want to wait for the iPad 6. It's rumored to have a holographic interface and a wireless mental uplink to your Cerebral I/O device.

19. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

lots of tech changes in a couple of years....but why not.

20. MrWillie, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011

MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Get the iPad (32G wifi) and borrow your moms computer when you absolutely NEED it.

Wait for iPad 2.

Continue to use your iPod as an iPod.

I very rarely hook my iPad up to the computer. Only when I add movies that I ripped from DVDs that I have purchased, and when I did an OS update.

21. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

If u mention 3000 being over your limit, 1000 bucks probably looks good to u. U could get the 500 buck iPad AND a nice 500 buck laptop. Then u wouldn't have to choose.

22. Resist macrumors 68030

Unfortunately the iPad needs a computer to sync with. Just like the iPhone and iPod Touch, they are not stand alone devices.

23. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    I absolutely love my iPad and everything it does. I seriously use that device for almost everything.

HOWEVER (and that's a big however), there are a couple of tasks which I still use (or need/prefer to use) my laptop for; namely writing essays and long emails. Although the essays part applies to me now (being a student), I anticipate that in the future essays will be replaced with reports, etc by a job. Also, while this may not apply to you, any form of editing photographs, videos etc will need a laptop. Lastly, minor things like saving files, printing, adding attachments to emails, etc is much more complicated on an iPad.

Overall, I think an iPad is a great complimentary device to save up for. This way you can use your laptop to manage files/music/photos/etc and view them on your iPad.

Just my $0.02.

24. LeighAnna Jones thread starter macrumors 6502

I just cannot wait... I showed the air to my mom in the mall today, she was very impressed. She even shut up about leaving the apple store for an entire 15 minutes. She kept picking up the 11 inch over and over and kept opening and closing the lid... haha. She is very impressed with my choice and very pleased that I did not want the "27 iMac, but an "11 MacAir!

I say my choices of getting one are good; finally something to keep my satisfied till the iPad 4 or 6. Maybe 7.

After this I can finally stop sneaking on my dad's computer at night...

25. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I wanted an iPad, although I was going to wait till the iPad 2 came out early this year...so, I went to the Apple store near me to play around with the iPad and sure enough I took a look at the 11" Air...after 10 minutes, I bought it...:D

Couldn't be happier...the 11.6" MBA does SO much more than the iPad can do and is every bit as light and portable...I opted for the Ultimate 11 with the 1.6GHz processor and 4 GB of RAM...this thing FLIES for such a tiny machine...

I take this thing everywhere with me now...most fun I've had using a computer! :)
    (it gets lots of people asking about it as well...mostly, women...it's almost like having a cute puppy :D )